HELP Identifying???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walfy10

Reaction score
43763826_10101460623835373_6465989138603573248_n.jpg
Story time so I made a English Brown 1//16/2018 and it finished way to high at 1.020. I ended up drinking half and adding a vial of Brett C. to 2.5 gallons. I let it ride for six months and then popped the air lock for a taste/gravity reading and purged with CO2 before sealing again. Flavor was phenomenal nice brett character with pineapple esters no horse blanket. I let it go for another month before checking the appearance and was shocked to find this forming on the surface. Pretty waxy looking no fuzz but didn't resemble a normal pellicle. It looks pretty splotchy and almost like a film yeast that wine makers get. What do you guys think?

Oxygen exposure caused the pellicle formation.

It is flat because there has not been any CO2 release since then.

Most pellicles form within a few weeks, while there is still CO2 off-gassing that causes bubbles.

If there's something else wild in there... there's no way to know without sending it to a lab (unless you want to try plating it and find more than 2 distinct organisms).

Curious: Which lab's Brett did you pitch and what was the latest FG?

Cheers!

Turns out it was just a pellicle. I finally got around to testing the gravity and kegging it. It went from 1.020 to 1.012 in five months at 26.6 celcius. I checked the gravity at 8 months and its still at 1.012. Flavor is phenomenal with tropical esters almost reminiscent of cherry pie. I ended up pitched white labs WLP645 Brett C.

Back