Help identifying keg type?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barleydude

Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of keg this is? From reading around it appears to be a European style keg, but I'm not 100% sure. Also, looking for help on how to depressurize it. Thanks!

IMAG1128.jpg

I had one of those and the same problem. Since I was converting to a brew pot I took a 1/8" drill bit and depressurized it by just drilling into the top. Then I got out the grinder and went to work. The keg was empty so there was very little pressure released.

Get a screw driver or two and depress the black rubber part to depressurize, you can then tear the rubber peice out with pliers. The spear will drop into the barrel and no more pressure EVER.

Next the top ring part with the single hole is held in place buy a peice of black rubber that makes the top peice near un moveable. Use a small hand torch or a LOT of boiling water to heat the collar, Then taking care not to touch the part with bare hands tuen it couinter clockwise and it should unscrew all the way.

tada...

Awesome, thank you all for the help. Wanting to convert this into a fermenter so hopefully zamial's advice works! I'll be sure to come back and post the results here

Alright, making some progress... used a screw driver to tear apart one section of the rubber ring, then used needle nose pliers to remove the rest of the rubber ring. To get the spring out I ended up using the prying end of a hammer, and with the keg on its side, just started working at it. Glad I did because the metal ring on top went flying!

IMAG1139.jpg

No luck first time. Torches it for a minute or so. But can't get a good grip on the top... Any more tips?

Torch the collar hot but not untill it glows. take 2-4 leather work gloves over the top and twist. perhaps a large monkey wrench??? a punch/screw driver in the hole and then tap it around with a hammer???

Torch the collar hot but not untill it glows. take 2-4 leather work gloves over the top and twist. perhaps a large monkey wrench??? a punch/screw driver in the hole and then tap it around with a hammer???

Thanks for the info. My neighbor saw/heard me working on these kegs, and ended up coming over with a very large wrench. Locked it on the top, and got it to turn with ease!

Back