Help! I aerated wrong!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcoron4

Reaction score
I'm doing my first batch, an "American light extract brew kit" and after I cooled the wort, I pitched the yeast AND THEN I SHOOK THE bucket with the wort AND yeast for a good two minutes! I didn't read carefully that I was supposed to do it before I pitch in the yeast.... is my batch ruined???

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

No, not at all, that's perfectly acceptable. Lots of people do it that way on purpose. Adding oxygen to the beer is only a problem after fermentation is winding down, which isn't till days later.

I think you're taking it too literally. When you aerate your wort, whether the yeast is already in there or you pitch it right after, shouldn't make a difference. I always aerate right after pitching. So I give my yeast a roller coaster ride. Never heard them complain.

Oh thanks guys! It's just that every post I read, it said to shake it before. But everyone does stuff different right! .. definitely feel much better now though. Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Not once have I added the yeast after I have aerated my wort, and with 5 years of brewing and 25-30 batches under my belt, I have not had a bad batch from using this method. You will be just fine. Using quality water and ingredients, sanitizing your equipment properly and effective temperature control will be the big determinates for how your beer comes out. Good luck and happy brewing!

Your yeasts are going be be bruised and nauseous. Your beer is going to taste like yeast vomit.

That's because they don't have MOUTHS. But they're not happy.

"Well...if they don't have mouths then how can they vomit?"

Well...they just can. So...there.

Yeah yeast vomit beer can't be good. Tell you what you do: finish fermenting it and bottle. Then send half to me and half to LandoLincoln and we'll make sure it is disposed of properly. It's the least we can do to help a new brewer not be exposed to yeast vomit beer.

I've always pitched after aerating, and then shook a bit more to mix it in thoroughly. The last few brews I've been using a stick blender to aerate, and I kinda wondered if whirling blades would harm the yeast if I pitched first? Hmmm...

Scott

just think of the fun (cruel?) ride those beasties are on while degassing a mead, for example?

as has been said, your yeast will be fine. Your beer will likely also be fine too.
enjoy. :)

Latest posts

Back