Help! Hot Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierramadrebrewer

Reaction score
While in the second week of primary my wife knocked out the temperature probe from my heater and I now have 10 gallons of Belgian at 90'F:mad:! I'm brewing this to serve at a function in 4 weeks, am I screwed? She knocked it out last night and has ramped up from 68' to 90' in about 23 hours. Any way to save?
Thanks

you might be able to cool back down and repitch new yeast. I have had luck with this with no adverse taste.

is the airlock still poping at a regular pace? if so i would do nothing just don't cool down fast as this might shock the yeast.

It will be a lot better than the beer would have been fermented at 68 F. For most Belgians, (IMO) anything under 70 F and you are not really getting the flavor of the yeast.

I'll bet it will be better than you expected and will want to ferment high in the future. It took me a long time to get the courage to ferment them high, but once I'd done it, I was hooked (I still don't have the guts to go to 90 though).

I've got a Saison I'm brewing tomorrow with Wy3711. Will be starting that at 75 and working it up to 85 by the end of the week.

What yeast did you use? Some Belgian yeasts can actually tolerate relatively higher temperatures. Also, what style is it? I would taste it, you might be surprised to find that the taste was barely affected at all. If all else fails, some 50° "lagering" might help to mellow it out a bit. Are you worried about the yeast ceasing to work, or the flavor being affected adversely?

Good luck with everything!

is the airlock still poping at a regular pace? if so i would do nothing just don't cool down fast as this might shock the yeast.

+1, some of those Belgian yeasts really don't like rapid temperature drops, and can drop out and be impossible to get working again.

high temp brewing is great if you start high but that big of temp change that fast can cause the yeast to DIE from shock

cuttsjp-
it was Wyeast #1214 Belgian abbey ale, it actually say to ferment at 70-75 so I guess I was a little to cold, it's an Affligem Abbey Tripel clone from the Clone Brews book. I'm more worried about the taste, a lot of important people in my town will be drinking it.

The method that all the professional brewers that I have talked to use, and many homebrewers recommend, is to pitch pretty low, like low 60s, keep it low for a few days, and then let the temp ramp up on its own, sometimes into the high 80s until it's done fermenting.

I have no idea what 4x4junky is talking about.

So I guess I'll let her back in the house and see what happens when all is said and done.
-Shinglejohn
Doesn't everything tast better then?

The method that all the professional brewers that I have talked to use, and many homebrewers recommend, is to pitch pretty low, like low 60s, keep it low for a few days, and then let the temp ramp up on its own, sometimes into the high 80s until it's done fermenting.

I have no idea what 4x4junky is talking about.

as you say on its own not 21 deg. in 23 hrs.

Seriously, there is not much fermentation that is happening 2 weeks from pitching. The taste impact should be minimal. If you are concerned about the yeast dying off you can always just pitch some dry yeast for carbonation/if kegging call it "pasteurized".

Seriously, there is not much fermentation that is happening 2 weeks from pitching. The taste impact should be minimal. If you are concerned about the yeast dying off you can always just pitch some dry yeast for carbonation/if kegging call it "pasteurized".

+1 I wouldn't be worried at all.

yeah, after two weeks i think you'll be ok.
if it was in the 90F's then you can trademark the phrase "half-pasteurized" if it comes out well. :) (would that be halfsteurized?)

I wouldn't worry about flavor impact. Temperature has the most impact on flavor during the lag and growth phases of fermentation. After most of the fermentation is done, warming it up will only help it finish out faster. 90F is pretty extreme, but most Abbey-style yeasts are quite hearty.

Back