Help for a new guy!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutusMan

Reaction score
Brewed a Kolsh as my second attempt. Left in primary fermenter for 1 week, and just checked the secondary after 12 days and find this floating. There's not a lot of it, but it looks like cracker crumbs.

Any ideas/advice? Thanks!

P1050087.JPG

Could be yeast, protein, etc. Sometimes, they all just look wierd at different phases. My reccomendation? Leave it the hell alone. Don't go smelling it every day (I know it's hard not to), etc. There's a good, if not great, chance that nothing is wrong and it would be a shame to open it a bunch of times to smell it and introduce a contaminant that was never a problem in the first place.

Someone else recommended to let it go another week, bottle it and hope for the best. Is this stuff harmful if I do that?

I have tasted lightly infected beer. Unless you have been drinking heavily you will know if its funky. I was drinking quite a few and I got just an unusual headache.

It could be just floating yeast clumps that you see, assuming you cleaned and sanitized well.

It is yeast. Step back from the fermenter and leave it alone. It will be fine. More likely to introduce a problem by messing with it.

Like everyone has suggested, leave it alone. I am sure it is fine. :D

Back