Help - first time using hemocytometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on getting up to speed with yeast counting. My lovely wife indulged me by buying a microscope for me for Christmas. It seems to be a pretty good microscope for the price, but I don't have much experience with them. I can get it to work quite well. I had some prepared slides from my aunt's old science set with some samples that I can focus on and see in great detail. I think the microscope is working fine.

So my next step was to learn to use the hemocytometer. I tried to do my research to get a good one, but I really was just shooting in the dark. I decided to go for a mid range price one as it was supposedly made in Germany. They know precision right?

My problem is that the lines are so light I can barely make them out even in the best case. If I shut off the microscope light and light it from the side with a phone light I can catch glimpses of the grid. Once I turn the light back on it completely vanishes. I've tired it both without a cover slip and with a slip and loaded with water.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong. Is there something about a yeast sample that is going to make those lines stand out more? Do I need some dye in the liquid to help fill in those lines?

I am reluctant to put anything on the hemocytometer yet as I might end up returning it.

Any help for this non-scientist pretending to be a scientist would be appreciated!

That's a pretty amazing 'scope package for the price, fwiw.
I do notice it has an LED dimmer control, a condenser adjustment, and an adjustable iris.
I would play with all three to see if there's a combination that improves the visibility of the cytometer grid...

Cheers!

That's a pretty amazing 'scope package for the price, fwiw.
I do notice it has an LED dimmer control, a condenser adjustment, and an adjustable iris.
I would play with all three to see if there's a combination that improves the visibility of the cytometer grid...

Cheers!

You sir are a genius!

I didn't even realize those controls were there. (No manual came with the scope). The iris helped a lot on it's own, but moving the condenser down away from the table brought the lines into clear view!

Excellent! :mug: Happy to help!
Enjoy that 'scope, to find one with metal parts in all the right places at that price is fairly amazing.
The more I read about it the more impressed I was...

Cheers!

It’s worked great, but I’ve not used it very much. Life seems to be rushing me by. I’ve not invested the time I thought I would in yeast ranching. I’ve no complaints about any of the equipment though. At least I have good stuff for when I get the time again.

Latest posts

Back