Help! Delayed Bottling Session!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel80

Reaction score
So I was right in the middle of bottling my 5 gallon batch when my 12 week old twins decided to lose their minds. After helping SWMBO get them back under control, life took over and I wasn't able to return to the bucket.

Here's the problem. I had already added the priming sugar before I had to bail out. It's been about 48 hours and now I have time to bottle. Has the little bit of priming sugar already fermented out? I know some of it did because it forced the lid of the bucket open. Should I add more priming sugar before attempting to bottle or just bottle it as it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to scrap this batch.

I would give it a couple of days for the sugar to all be fermented and then re add your priming sugar and bottle like normal. Worst that could happen is there's a little more alcohol in the beer:D

It's probably halfway fermented out, or close to it. I'd just add half as much sugar that you originally added, and go at it again. Or maybe 40% as much. Then bottle it, and say you invented a new style of beer.

I'd agree with letting it all ferment out, then re-prime the batch, you might have a yeasty beer with some more sediment on the bottom of the bottles than other beers, but should be just fine.

Back