Help!!! Cold Crash Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a one gallon Sierra Madre Pale Ale almost a week ago, and on brew day after pitching my yeast I noticed I'd transferred a lot of trub (about 2") into my carboy. The primary fermentation is winding down after the first 5 days (krausen has subsided and a 1/2" yeast cake has formed) and the trub has compacted slightly(its now about 1" with a 1/2" yeast cake on top of that.) So basically my question is, with all the extra trub i had in this batch, would it even be an option to cold crash before bottle conditioning, or am i better off letting it alone and siphoning to bottles for condition when the time comes like i usually do?

Yes, you can cold crash it. It sounds to me like your worried that you might accidently disturb the trub. Don't even worry, cold crashing, gets its name because when cold, the particles and solids will "crash" down to the bottom. Hope this helps.

So then its really more to reduce sediment in the bottles and not so much about compacting the yeast and trub at the bottom of my carboy? Yes disturbing the trub was a concern but also im worried about being able to transfer enough yeast to my bottles for proper bottle conditioning. do you have any advice on what temp and how long i should crash, also how long would i need to let it set at room temp to make sure i wake the yeast enough before bottle conditioning to get a good prime?

I brewed a one gallon Sierra Madre Pale Ale almost a week ago, and on brew day after pitching my yeast I noticed I'd transferred a lot of trub (about 2") into my carboy. The primary fermentation is winding down after the first 5 days (krausen has subsided and a 1/2" yeast cake has formed) and the trub has compacted slightly(its now about 1" with a 1/2" yeast cake on top of that.) So basically my question is, with all the extra trub i had in this batch, would it even be an option to cold crash before bottle conditioning, or am i better off letting it alone and siphoning to bottles for condition when the time comes like i usually do?

Siphon to a bottling bucket rather than from primary to the bottle. When you siphon to a bottling bucket it is easier to control the siphon and keep it above the trub.
Even if you cold crash, siphon to a bottling bucket to add priming sugar and then bottle.

Im worried about being able to transfer enough yeast to my bottles for proper bottle conditioning. do you have any advice on what temp and how long i should crash, also how long would i need to let it set at room temp to make sure i wake the yeast enough before bottle conditioning to get a good prime?

Do not worry about the yeast at all. You'll still get enough happy yeast in the bottles for carbonation. I crash at 3C for 3 or more days typically.

It seems like I'd be better off not crashing and just using a bottling bucket instead of transferring straight from my primary to bottles.. Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

AceBoogyBrewmaster said:
So then its really more to reduce sediment in the bottles and not so much about compacting the yeast and trub at the bottom of my carboy? Yes disturbing the trub was a concern but also im worried about being able to transfer enough yeast to my bottles for proper bottle conditioning. do you have any advice on what temp and how long i should crash, also how long would i need to let it set at room temp to make sure i wake the yeast enough before bottle conditioning to get a good prime?

Cold crashing will both compact the trub in your fermenter and reduce the amount of sediment in your bottles. Try to get your beer below 40F and hold it there for at least 72 hours. Longer would be even better. Some yeast strains are more susceptible to stalling after cold crashing, but you should be fine with the US-05 they sell with the Sierra Madre kit. There will be plenty of yeast left over to carb your beer. Follow normal bottle conditioning temp and time, 70F for 3 weeks

Latest posts

Back