Help classifying an ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twofox

Reaction score
I just made an amber that I tried as a bigger recipe. Turned out to be 1.070 OG and 1.018 FG with 6.8% abv. The recipe, at 1.058 OG is a classic amber ale.

So the question is: At the higher gravity and abv, what would I classify that as? An imperial amber, a double amber? I can't find anything in the bjcp guide (2008) that covers it. A strong scotch ale is close, but this one is too hoppy, and too much hop aroma.

Thanks in advance!

I'd be inclined to go double amber myself, but these areas are still in something of a grey area from what I can tell. Imperial IPA is still considered relatively new, and that's been "common" for a few years now at the very least. Strong ambers are a bit less frequent, so I'd say it's basically up to the maker :).

BJCP mentions double/imperial red in category 23, I'd go with that if its too dark for I/IPA

The original amber recipe I want to compete with, but the 1.070 amber I really just want to know what to call it. I suppose competing might be in order, it seems to be turning out really well.

An old brewer mentioned Imperial might be it, but Double also sounds close except for the abv which turns out to be 6.8, kinda low for a double? If all else fails, I'll call it "Private Reserve" and go from there.

I racked to secondary a few days ago and tasted... this might just be a great beer! :ban:

Back