Help build this Imperial Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr x

Reaction score
I want to clone a local brew that is definitely the best beer around here. From their website:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imperial Pale Ale

Imperial Pale Ale is a robust, medium bodied west coast style ale with a lingering hop bitterness complimented by a malty caramel backbone and a strong citrus character.

Bitterness | med - high
Malts | 2-row pale, caramel, dextrin, Munich
Hops | Cascade, German Magnum
IBU | 70
O.G. | 1.070
ABV | 6.9%

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a picture of the beer (top of the page on the left):

http://www.garrisonbrewing.com/beer.html

It looks a little darker to me than a pale ale and not quite as big as most Imperial Pale Ale. It has a very creamy head and mouthfeel to it. Here's my starting point from Beersmith:

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.9 %
1.25 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.6 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.8 %
2.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 70.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop)

Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Color: 8.8 SRM

I don't have any Magnum, but I can get Northern Brewer, and have lots of Chinook and Centennial as well on hand. I was planning on using 30/37 SRM Carastan for the crystal.

Any criticism welcome.

I've never tried that beer, but the recipe looks good.

My only thought would be that you could increase the late hop additions a little. I'm not sure how much flavor/aroma you'd get from half an ounce of cascade at 20 minutes, even with the dry-hopping, so I'd tend to up the amount and add it a little later - maybe an ounce at ten minutes?

Is this beer really sweet? I ask because you have a lot of crystal in the grain bill for an IPA. I have been looking over "big IPA recipes" (I just brewed the Alesmith IPA last night from the BYO Clones Issue-it only has 2 oz crystal in 14 lbs 2-row) and most keep the crystal to about 5% of the grain bill. I'd use about 1/2 of your current crystal and increase the base 2-row. I agree with Danek, about the later hop additions-like one at 5 min and dry hopping with at least 1 oz cascade. My last IPA had only 1/2oz Cascade in the dry hop and the aroma was barely there.

I would have to agree about backing off the bittering hops (norther brewer) you have that listed as 70IBU alone, and the beer your cloning is med - high. but with the northern brewer you are already at the very top of that beer style bitterness window. Without doing math, maybe take it to 2 oz at 60 min; then cascade 1 oz at 15 min; 1 oz dry hop

Just my 2 cents

Back