Help!! Air lock emptied

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcus11x

Reaction score
I am a rookie. Anybody ever have this happen? I brewed a Pliny clone 2 days ago. OG was 1.07, perfect. Put in fermenter, added yeast, and by next morning, she was going crazy. 71 degrees in the room. Filled air lock with Absolut. By 2nd morning, air lock was empty and the top of the fermenter (big bubbler), was full of beer. I refilled air lock with water and replaced. Yeast still active. It started bubbling immediately. 2 questions, 1) is that normal?, and 2) think beer is okay? Thanks

1) Yes
2) Yes

You should look up "blowoff tube" here though. Your fermenter is generating enough pressure to shoot beer out the top. If anything clogs that air lock, you'll build pressure rapidly and end up with a volcanic eruption when it dislodges the block.

also - i wouldn't use water. Star San or vodka in the air lock. very slim chance of infection, especially since it is blowing things out, but why risk it.

Also look into controlling your fermentation temperatures. The temperature of the fermenting wort can rise 5-10 degrees above ambient. You need to keep the temperature below 70 degrees for most ale yeasts. I aim for the low to mid sixties. Usually 64 or 65 degrees. Look for the range for the yeast you are using and stay in the lower half.

The critters that can infect your beer cannot fly or crawl so they cannot negotiate their way through the airlock by themselves. But changing pressures could suck some in. The possibility you will have problems is very small.

I second the idea of using a blow off tube. I install one at the beginning of every fermentation.

Don't feel bad. I had the same thing happen to me the other day. I forgot how aggressive Wyeast 3068 was, even cold. Oh, well. Clean up the mess and refill the airlock then carry on. No problem.

The other day I completely forgot to fill my airlock for 4 hours before I pitched (sucky chiller wouldn't get below 90). The beer is fine and is happily bubbling away. You'll be good. Kyle

also - i wouldn't use water. Star San or vodka in the air lock. very slim chance of infection, especially since it is blowing things out, but why risk it.

He is using Vodka, he said Absolut.

Back