Help a new guy? First PM brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifishsum

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew the PM version of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale:
bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale

Being my first PM, (and first non-Mr. Beer kit) I have a couple questions.

1) I was planning a late LME addition to a partial boil, can I do that with just the mini-mash wort to increase the hop utilization (the Cascades I got from my LHBS are 6.0% instead of the 6.6% called for) or should I add some extract early?

2) I can also split the batch and do two full boils (I'll have to ferment in two smaller vessels anyway) - would that be preferable, and If I do that will I need to add some extract early? (basically same question different scenario)

I know that a higher gravity will decrease hop U, but I don't know if there's a lower threshold I should try for and why.

I also posted a couple of different questions on that recipe thread if someone wants to take a stab at them as well. Thanks for the help.

I really want to help you, but I'm having trouble understanding your questions (I drink, you know ;)). I'm going to have to ask you to repeat these questions, but please ask them like you're talking to a three year old (who drinks), ok?

Thanks, I'll try again. Basically I'm doing a mini-mash of 2.5lbs of grain, and using 6 lbs of LME for a recipe. I've read about adding extract late in the boil to help reduce twang and keep the color lighter. I've also read that a lighter gravity wort is able to utilize the hop additions better than a higher gravity wort. So I'm wondering if I can boil my mash wort only (adding my hops per schedule), then add all my LME late in the boil, or if there's a reason I should add some of the LME to the weak mini-mash wort before starting my boil.

The main reason I want to do this is my hops have a little less strength than those used in the original recipe, and I want to keep the balance of the original recipe without going back to my LHBS for more hops. The original recipe also used a full boil, which I am unable to do for 5.5 gallons. From what I've read this can further weaken my hop additions due to the increased gravity.

Does that help? I've done a lot of reading here in the last few weeks and maybe I'm overthinking things, but that's what I do. I like to know the hows and whys so I can learn and perfect this craft.

I'm planning to brew the PM version of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

Being my first PM, (and first non-Mr. Beer kit) I have a couple questions.

1) I was planning a late LME addition to a partial boil, can I do that with just the mini-mash wort to increase the hop utilization (the Cascades I got from my LHBS are 6.0% instead of the 6.6% called for) or should I add some extract early?

2) I can also split the batch and do two full boils (I'll have to ferment in two smaller vessels anyway) - would that be preferable, and If I do that will I need to add some extract early? (basically same question different scenario)

I know that a higher gravity will decrease hop U, but I don't know if there's a lower threshold I should try for and why.

I also posted a couple of different questions on that recipe thread if someone wants to take a stab at them as well. Thanks for the help.

1. Don't muck with the recipe until you know what you're doing.

2. See response one. As an aside, the smaller the boil volume, the more hops you have to use to maintain bitterness. A program like Beersmith is probably your best bet to calculate your new hops requirements.

All in all, don't muck with something until you know what you're doing, or unless you have the ability to figure out what your mucking with will change.

The main thing you want to do with LME if you want to split it up is BASICALLY use 1/3 the LME and add the rest with about 5-10 minutes to go.

this way you get about the right gravity as you would in a full boil.

Hops - just use it as directed and take notes - I have read it makes very very little difference when concerned with partial boils.

You can PM me (not partial mash me) with your recipe if you want the exact amount of LME to start your boil - I have a spread sheet. It's typically 1/3 of the amount if you want a default number.

The original recipe is an AG recipe that I'm doing as a suggested PM conversion, so it's already mucked - I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it. Bear with me, I've only made "add water" recipes from cans previously.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to get from the partial mash, but I'm sure it won't be 1/3 of the fermentables. The more I think about it, I'll need to use 2 smaller fermenters anyway so I'll just make it twice using a full boil each time I guess.

ifishsum - I would go with the PM, then add 1/3 of the LME, hop per the recipe, then add the final 2/3 LME as a late addition. Right now, don't worry about a .6 difference in AAU, you will not notice it.
That is a fine recipe to use as your first PM, and I'm sure your love the outcome. What are you putting into the PM? Pilsner by it self may not be good, I would use at least a pound of wheat with it.
I would also recommend on not counting on a whole lot of sugars coming from the PM, but you most likely have a good amount of LME to meet your OG requirements.
Welcome to brewing, you will never look at your Mr. Beer the same again. But it is cool to use if you need to bring some HB to a party.

Thanks, I'll try again. Basically I'm doing a mini-mash of 2.5lbs of grain, and using 6 lbs of LME for a recipe. I've read about adding extract late in the boil to help reduce twang and keep the color lighter. I've also read that a lighter gravity wort is able to utilize the hop additions better than a higher gravity wort. So I'm wondering if I can boil my mash wort only (adding my hops per schedule), then add all my LME late in the boil, or if there's a reason I should add some of the LME to the weak mini-mash wort before starting my boil.

The main reason I want to do this is my hops have a little less strength than those used in the original recipe, and I want to keep the balance of the original recipe without going back to my LHBS for more hops. The original recipe also used a full boil, which I am unable to do for 5.5 gallons. From what I've read this can further weaken my hop additions due to the increased gravity.

Does that help? I've done a lot of reading here in the last few weeks and maybe I'm overthinking things, but that's what I do. I like to know the hows and whys so I can learn and perfect this craft.

You're already received some advice, so I'll just add a bit more. When you mash your 2.5 pounds of grain, you should mash them (you're using a grain bag for this?) in about 3.75 quarts of 153 degree water for 45 minutes. Sparge (rinse) them with 5 quarts of 170 degree water. That will give you about 2 gallons to boil. If you want to boil a bit more for a larger boil, you can add some water and then start your boil. As the others said, you can add 1/3 of the LME at this time and when it comes to a boil, add your first hops. You can add the rest of the hops as directed, and add the rest of the LME with 10-15 minutes left.
Does that answer everything?

Yes, I plan to use a grain bag. Thanks for the help guys and gals, you told me what I needed to know.

Back