Help a beginner start brewing!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmitri

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am new here, actually this is my first post and I am a virgin brewer.
My brother gave me some ingredients and I would like to try brewing for the first time.

I got 1lb of malted wheat(The malt is caramelized with the reach aroma of roasted nuts, chocolate and coffee.)

1.5 ounce of Kent Golding hops,

Few packages of baking yeast.

Can I brew anything drinkable with those ingredients?
How much beer would I be able to brew from a pound of malt?
How long should I steep it for?
At what time during the boiling should I add the hops, and how much?
How long should the fermentation be?

Any help would be really appreciated.
Cheers.
D.

Hello everyone.

My brother gave me some ingredients and I would like to try brewing for the first time.

I got 1lb of malted wheat(The malt is caramelized with the reach aroma of roasted nuts, chocolate and coffee.)

At what time during the boiling should I add the yeast, and how much?

Cheers.
D.

Welcome to the forum

I would suggest reading this book first it will teach you so much

http://www.howtobrew.com/

Hello everyone.

Cheers.
D.

To answer your question.....NOPE.

As suggested use "search" and do some reading. then have a ball like we all here do.

Dmitri said:
Hello everyone.

Cheers.
D.

It may produce a weak brew, but won't taste any good with bakers yeast. I would go to your local home brew supply store and start with a beginners kit if you don't have the equipment and maybe one of the beer in a box kits. John Palmers book is a good start to read.

1lb of malt could perhaps make 2 quarts of beer. Not worth the effort. Not to mention that a beer made with 100% caramel malt would be absolutely disgusting. As would a beer made with baker's yeast.

However, if you get yourself some malt extract and actual brewer's yeast, you could probably make a proper 5gal batch of something drinkable with the malt and hops you also have on hand.

How to Brew is a good suggestion, and you might also want to look into the extract brewing section of this site.

To echo what the others have said, do a little reading and research first. Check out the stickies in the beginners and extract sections of the forum. Store your grains in a dark, dry place and throw your hops in the freezer for storage, they won't go to waste. Forget the bakers yeast.

A good brew to start with would be a box kit from brewers best, northern brewer or Austin homebrew supply. You can get pretty much any style of beer in these kits and they make some pretty darn good beer. The instructions are real easy to follow for the beginner. Avoid the "can" kits which are basically pre-hopped extract and a packet of yeast. The box kits will produce a much tastier beer.

oh, and welcome to HBT :mug:

thanks for your help guys
but still I have to do it cause I told my brother I can :)
we'll see what happens.

Awesome, enjoy your newly found obsession! Sadly, you can't brew snything with that. Go get some 2-row base malt, a little more wheat malt, and some liquid yeast and you can cook up a nice American Wheat!

And NEVER put yeast in the boil,unless you wanna kill it. Midwest supply sells some good kits too,with good instructions. I think there are enough stickies on this site to steer you in the right direction for now. Good place to start,certainly.

And NEVER put yeast in the boil,unless you wanna kill it. Midwest supply sells some good kits too,with good instructions. I think there are enough stickies on this site to steer you in the right direction for now. Good place to start,certainly.

I meant hops, I know I have to chill the wart to the room temperature before adding yeast.

You have two local stores in Montreal. "La Choppe" doesn't appear to cater to English speakers online. Hopefully, you speak French or they speak English in person. I've seen several shops that do demos on weekends. It really helps to see it the first time.

From the HBT Wiki:
La Choppe a Barrock, Montreal, Quebec A Homebrew supply shop with a very knowledgeable owner.
Mout International, Montreal, Quebec Lots of accessories, good beer kit selection, wine focus but beer stuff too.

You have two local stores in Montreal. "La Choppe" doesn't appear to cater to English speakers online. Hopefully, you speak French or they speak English in person. I've seen several shops that do demos on weekends. It really helps to see it the first time.

From the HBT Wiki:
La Choppe a Barrock, Montreal, Quebec A Homebrew supply shop with a very knowledgeable owner.
Mout International, Montreal, Quebec Lots of accessories, good beer kit selection, wine focus but beer stuff too.

thanks for the links

Back