Hello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarkus

Reaction score
I kept bees for a number of years in So CAL and made a lot of mead, then moved back to Oregon, took a big hit on my bee's (southern bees didn't like northern clime's) just getting re-established with bee's. After being back here a few years found that the neighbors on the ranches/farms around me don't bother to harvest or use the vast majority of the fruit growing on they're properties (mostly pears and apples some plum's) and I hate waste, so I've started collecting what I can along with my own trees, intending to cider and or ferment most of it (I can only dehydrate and can so much) It's been a few years so thought checking you guys out would be a good idea.

Hey Tarkus. Welcome. This is a good place to learn and help others to learn. Some of us here also have too much fruit of various kinds and we liquefy that, just as you say. I have several gallons of wine for the same reason.

Hello, I am joining your company. My father has always been a beekeeper. We had a big apiary. I now want to resume my father's business. I often cook mead, but I buy honey

Hey Ivan, my apiary was on the small side comparatively, only 120-140 colonies, some of my colleague's ran as many as 15,000 (professionals). I started off doing live bee removal in southern CA which not only added to my colonies quickly but also gave me a huge amount of "wall" honey to play with, anywhere from 700-1,500 lbs of honey and comb a year. Back in the early 80's I played at making mead with store bought honey and had mediocre results, with the large influx of comb/honey, I had a bit more incentive and a lower cost on mistakes I managed to start making some decent Mead based beverages (Mead, Cycer, Pyment and melomel) and found it simple (I was over complicating it before)

Hey Ivan, my apiary was on the small side comparatively, only 120-140 colonies, some of my colleague's ran as many as 15,000 (professionals). I started off doing live bee removal in southern CA which not only added to my colonies quickly but also gave me a huge amount of "wall" honey to play with, anywhere from 700-1,500 lbs of honey and comb a year. Back in the early 80's I played at making mead with store bought honey and had mediocre results, with the large influx of comb/honey, I had a bit more incentive and a lower cost on mistakes I managed to start making some decent Mead based beverages (Mead, Cycer, Pyment and melomel) and found it simple (I was over complicating it before)
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am impressed that you were able to start making decent honey based beverages with the large influx of comb and honey from your live bee removal business.

Back