hello yall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trscstghst

Reaction score
i just wanted to say hello to everyone here. i am new to homebrewing (havent accually started yet) this seems like the place to learn so here i am. i probablly wont be to active of a poster for a while more of a searcher and reader. i havent really accuired much equiptment yet. i like to learn as much as i can from others before i jump in. i plan on starting with all grain, i know that is not the norm but it seems to be the most logical from my stand point. right now i am just collecting bottles until i decide to take the leap. i will be sure to let you guys know how it goes. BTW thank all of you for sharing your expertice. spell check isnt workng so please excuse any errors

i have read many (not all) of the faqs but i still need a glossery of terms & accronyms. if someone could point me in the right direction i would greatly appreiciate it.

ok so i have cultured many fungi, but never yeast. most of the time i am trying to get the fungi to reproduce so i can harvest the offsping, but in brewing i am tring to harvest the byprodct, alcohol. this adds a whole new element. it is mushroom growing reversed. with growing mushrooms you want you throw away the byproducts, and with brewing you throw away the fruit(yeast cultures) which leads me to my next question which im sure has allready been answered a million times, so please humor me. can i grow yeast in say a 4% sugar to water ratio to be used as an inoculnat for my brews?

Here is a link to a site page that has a bunch of terms. Haven't looked at the page in awhile so not sure if there are many acronyms on there. http://www.winning-homebrew.com/brewing-terms.html

this is useful info but not really what i was looking for. there are a lot of accronyms that useres of this forum use quite often, i need to know what they mean. many are explained in the faqs but not all. i guess i just havent read enough.

John Palmer's How to Brew is the best resource for learning to brew. There is a web site of the same name that contains an abridged version of the book. Charlie Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing was the seminal book on the subject, but IMO not as good as Palmer's book.

Look for a local homebrew club. Many homebrew shops do monthly live brewing demos. Search homebrewing on youtube. Lots of good how-to videos there. Probably some bad ones too.

Back