Hello to all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head

Reaction score
Hi, I'm totally new to brewing, and I'm hoping to really learn here.

I've always wanted to start brewing, but every time I was about to get set up, an emergency wiped out my funds.
I'm finally ready, bought a second hand set up, which I need to really evaluate to see what else I need.

I humbly beg for the #1 newbie brewing piece of advice, as well as the best brewing book to buy and read.

Thanks in advance.

What's up head? Welcome to HBT.

Best advice? Don't worry, you beer's gonna be fine. aka RDWHAHB

Book? John Palmer "How to Brew"

Welcome to HBT! What beer are you doing first?

My first piece of advice is that some of the kit instructions are not good and sometimes the advice from your local home brew store (LHBS) can be iffy. It's best to ask here before you follow some instructions that may not be in your beer's best interest.

Thanks for the welcome.

1st, the kit I have has a 6 gal bucket, a 6 gal glass carboy, and all the tubing, normal beginners accessories.

2nd, I'll have to check out that book.

3rd, the I haven't decided what to brew for my first batch. Any easy malty suggestions?

4th, I'm not up on what RDWHAHB stands for, clue me in.

IMHO here are the things that you want to achieve ASAP.
1) Brew with fresh ingredients. Therefore you need a local source of supply. Some shop that can supply you with an assortment of grains, hops and yeast.
2) A mash tun is a vital tool, you can buy one or build one, I built mine from a Coleman cooler and some copper pipe. No mash tun, no fresh grains.
3) A good digital cooking thermometer is necessary.
4) If possible try and get out of the kitchen. Get a propane burner and a 40qt pot.
5) Build a wort cooler from a 25ft length of flexible copper tubing (Home Depot).
6) Beer tastes best after 6-8 weeks. (Wheat beers taste best fresh, 3 weeks)
The other little things you'll figure out along the way.
Have fun and pick simple beers with few ingredients to start with.

IMHO here are the things that you want to achieve ASAP.
1) Brew with fresh ingredients. Therefore you need a local source of supply. Some shop that can supply you with an assortment of grains, hops and yeast.
2) A mash tun is a vital tool, you can buy one or build one, I built mine from a Coleman cooler and some copper pipe. No mash tun, no fresh grains.
3) A good digital cooking thermometer is necessary.
4) If possible try and get out of the kitchen. Get a propane burner and a 40qt pot.
5) Build a wort cooler from a 25ft length of flexible copper tubing (Home Depot).
6) Beer tastes best after 6-8 weeks. (Wheat beers taste best fresh, 3 weeks)
The other little things you'll figure out along the way.
Have fun and pick simple beers with few ingredients to start with.

Thanks, I'll keep those points in mind.

Is the flavor of beer made with extracts inferior to fresh grain?

RDWHAHB (Relax Don't Worry Have A HomeBrew)!!!

Best piece of advice that has ever been given to me so far!!

Great tasting beer can be made from extract, but mashing your malt yourself increases the scope of flavours that can be achieved. Three different brewers with the identical recipe can make three very different beers based on mashing temps and times. It does however add to the work required. But it does get you more intimate with your beer.

Thanks, I'll keep those points in mind.

Is the flavor of beer made with extracts inferior to fresh grain?

Latest posts

Back