Hello, new guy from Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivasbeer

Reaction score
Finally decided it was time to try this out. A friend and I split the equipment cost, and ingredient cost on this first brew.

I am sure I will eventually start to upgrade slowly, but for now, the $70 buckets will have to work.

First brew 3/3/13
Malt Base 12 Lbs Dark LME, 8 oz Malto Dextrin
Specialty Grains: 1.25 LB Chocolate, 8 oz Carafa II, 8 oz 60L Crystal
Hops: 8 HBU Cluster Hop Pellets
Other: 3 Vanilla Beans, 2 oz toasted/charred oak cubes soaked in bourbon
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast

A bunch of first time OOPS were made, hope it comes out ok.

Oops #1 (not really sure if this is an oops)
Added .25 lbs of extra chocolate than the recipe called for (recipe was for 1 lb

Added all the extract at beginning of the boil (again not sure on this one, but read about late additions after the fact)

Dropped the liquid malt extract container into the boil, splashing a sticky mess all over the kitchen and stove. (Wife was not happy with my attempt to clean this)

Did not aerate the wort. Although I did dump the wort into the fermenter with cold water pretty vigorously

Used the snow bank method to cool the wort. This took about 2 hours @ 20 F outside

Used a ****ty digital cooking thermometer. It worked perfectly while steeping the specialty grains, and during the boil. Although it read 219 before it was a full boil. Trying to use it once it dropped below 100 degrees was worthless. It kept bouncing all over, so I ended up using the stick-on thermometer and pitched once it read 75 degrees.

Stuck my hand into the cooled wort just before pitching the yeast. I did actually sanitize my arm before doing this.

Pretty awesome experience though, and was pretty pumped to see the airlock bubbling the next day.

Cheers
Shawn

Hope it's a good brew. I should have came here well before our first run though. Learning a lot of awesome stuff here

Back