Hello, I suppose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

418Brewing

Reaction score
Typically I skip the introduction thing on a forum, especially where it's strongly encouraged or "required". For some reason, however, I feel like participating in it here.

My home brewing started the way most Americans get into it, I suppose, with a search for a favorite brew. I am especially lucky to be married to a woman that values a good brew at least as much as I do. What's better, we have very similar taste in beer (and wine, and most other things) with the notable exception of her interest in pumpkin flavored beers (or most anything else pumpkin flavored.)

But I digress. In our search for the ideal beer(s) we came across several that we like a lot, but with the exception of our house standard Warsteiner Dunkel, most of our favorite beers come from the "you want how much per bottle?!?" side of the price range. So I planted the idea that we could probably make a good beer for less money ourselves, and my wife gradually warmed up to it.

We started in the usual way: an inexpensive starter kit and an extract kit (Munton's Bock). We've done that a couple times, expanding our tool kit and tinkering with the recipe. I believe we've nearly "perfected" a base recipe that is to our taste, but there are at least half a dozen more variations to test. Hard work, this brewing. Hard, tasty, delicious work.

Tomorrow we're bottling what looks to be an excellent Dark Maple Ale we brewed from a partial-grain kit purchased from Midwest Supply, and we'll be starting a Bavarian Dopplebock from them. Probably a Tempranillo wine the next day.

Eventually we'll be getting a BC and going into all-grain, and I'm kicking around the idea of a small-time yeast bank, but that's a much lower priority and interests me primarily from a geek/scientist standpoint. Before either of those I need to get a better control over fermentation temps, and that'll involve a temperature control and a fridge/freezer of some kind.

That's about it for now.

I should also point out that I'd like to get to know some other brewers in this area.

We don't have any trouble going through the beer we make, but swapping a few six-packs (or especially bottles of wine) for other types would be good. It's nice to have some good white on hand, but we greatly prefer red wines in most situations so a full 5 gallon run of white would take us a long time to get through.

Not that it's such a terrible thing to have a lot of wine on hand - but there is a practical limit to how much wine we can store.

Back