Hello from WV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealMadJack

Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve decided to get into home brewing because like the title says I'm from WV and there's not much of a selection for ale and stout drinkers here. In fact I question if the distributers here are actually beer drinkers.

For example, until this year I had to drive to OH to get anything brewed by Dogfish Head. I have settled for SN Torpedos, Celebration, and Samuel Adams Rebel Rouser.

But my brew kit should be here by Friday along with a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Clone Recipe Kit. This is a drink I enjoy but would have to drive 7 hrs to Norfolk, VA to get.

I’ve been watching brewers on youtube and think I have a handle on the Brew In a bag method. I guess if I had one question it would be. Is this Brew In a bag method as efficient as using a Mash Tun? My kit doesn’t come with a Mash Tun but I’ve watched enough videos to be comfortable constructing one.

If anyone is interested here is a link to the kit I purchased. Anyway thanks for having me.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-homebrew-starter-kit.html

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

Brew in a bag is an excellent way to brew beer. I have a three vessel and a BIAB system, and use both with no discernible differences.

Welcome to the forum, from Minnesota!

Long time BIAB guy here. I've never done 3-vessel brewing, but I can't complain about efficiency when I brew. BIAB is a snap.

Odd that you have to drive such a distance to find supplies. I'm surprised there aren't cities in WV with a LHBS. Are there any homebrew clubs in your area? Those can be a great way to pool resources and meet other brewers.

Welcome, RealMadJack! What part of West Virginia are you in? I was born and raised in West Virginia, lived up and down the Ohio from Newell to Huntington. I left WV in 2009, just as they were getting ready to raise the ABV cap on beer. Used to have to go to Chesapeake, OH or Ashland, KY for good beer. Ah, memories.

Welcome, biab is a great way to get started. It is the only way I have brewed. Read alot here and good luck, I bet you will do good. Learning as much as you can before you start.

Welcome, RealMadJack! What part of West Virginia are you in? I was born and raised in West Virginia, lived up and down the Ohio from Newell to Huntington. I left WV in 2009, just as they were getting ready to raise the ABV cap on beer. Used to have to go to Chesapeake, OH or Ashland, KY for good beer. Ah, memories.

Thanks everyone.

eulipion2 I live in Harrison County. About two years ago the state government passed a bill making it easier on craft brewers, but were still capped at 14%. OH just did away with their cap completely. Maybe we'll follow soon. It's slowly getting better like I said you can find some Dogfish and Lagunitas without having to take a road trip.

Thanks everyone.

eulipion2 I live in Harrison County. About two years ago the state government passed a bill making it easier on craft brewers, but were still capped at 14%. OH just did away with their cap completely. Maybe we'll follow soon. It's slowly getting better like I said you can find some Dogfish and Lagunitas without having to take a road trip.

Oh, cool. I went to WV Wesleyan in Buckhannon, no too far from you. You're not too far from the MD and PA borders, and I'd assume Morgantown has a (reasonably) decent beer selection. Still, not exactly "local." More of a day trip.

That's pretty much why I started brewing. Cheaper than wasting time and gas to buy beer in another state.

Welcome RealMadJack. I'm kinda new here too. I would think there would be plenty of variety around Northern VA down to Richmond so as to not be driving all the way to Norfolk. Born and raised in Va Beach and used to vaca in norther va and the shenandoah mountains. There is some big towns and cities up that way. Happy brewing Have fun it is what you make it. Oh yea biab is the best way to start IMO thats the way I started and still do on the little 2.5 gal setup learned on

Hello from WV as well! I'm in Charleston and the head bartender at one of our nicer hotels. Don't be too hard on the distributors. They really do a great job trying to get breweries to distribute here but the state has some of the toughest compliance laws in the country, even tougher than Texas and New Hampshire, who are notorious for their tough laws. That coupled with the fact that state law doesn't allow any beers over 12% abv to be sold in the state discourages many from coming here. Until last month, one of my favorite breweries, Stone, had distribution to 49 states. We were literally the last one they wanted to come to. Our legislature cares very little about changing or passing anything that they can't pad their pockets for.

Back