Hello from Upstate NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicabeer

Reaction score
Hello from NY. First post. I found this forum on Google. I am an IT professional by trade.

I have 2, 5 gallon extract batches started, the first one is nearly complete, 6 long days left.

I have the basic Ale pail, secondary glass carboy and small stock pot on the stove setup.

Needless to say I have about a million questions. The first one being. What should I upgrade first?

Assuming in the end an overly elaborate the top of the line completely automated all grain, 10 gallon all electric RIMS system. with 2-4 fermenters, and kegs for 2-4 taps.

My thought is the boiling kettle to move out of the kitchen and continue extracts for now.

Kettle, then a fermentation cabinet.

more pails
more carboys
more bottles
more of everything!

Hi and welcome! Where in Upstate are you? I'm from Albany :mug:.

I'm fairly new to homebrewing myself, but I would recommend getting a burner and a bigger pot so you can do full boils. Also, build yourself a wort chiller if you don't have have one already (especially if you're doing full 5 gallon boils). I got all of the materials for my 50' chiller from Lowes for under $40. Good luck!

I'm in Binghamton.

I was planning on brewing in my basement, so I would need to go all electric. Unless I put in an exhaust hood.
I do have a detached garage, that gets a little warm, so I don't know if I would want to ferment in it.

Welcome :mug:
Get a bigger kettle, for full boils, and a turkey fryer, and brew in the garage.
Ferment it wherever you can keep it in the lower to mid 60's.

Back