Hello from the High Desert of Nevada...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...where it's a whopping 16 degrees outside right now! I'm thankful that this web site is available to first time flunkies like myself. Hoping to get some input from some intelligent and informed individuals here. I'm 1 1/2 weeks into my first ever batch of anything, with little to no background or knowledge in brewing. But I'm a go getter who wants to try. Wish me luck, and good luck to those like me trying. And to those of you who are among the ranks of the Masters, a pre-thank you for all the help I'm sure I'll be needing throughout the process.

Happy brewing and Merry Christmas. :mug:

Good luck man, was just thinking of your neck of the woods a couple days ago. Telling a co-worker that there was alot of hot springs down there, high desert, and if a person really wanted to find solitude the great basin is the place to find it....I was also on a 100,000 acre plus fire outside of winnemucca bout ten years ago, really interesting area...What are you brewing? Kits? Steeping grains?

The solitude is the best part of living here. So much to see and do once you're off the beaten path, (I-80), but it's mostly kept for us locals, as the travelers passing through don't see much other than the highway and barren landscape that's directly adjacent.
To be honest, I have no idea about the involved terminology with brewing. I just took some pears, 45 lbs., from a friends orchard, and juiced them. Then strained them to clear juice and made two 2 1/2 gallon batches. One is hard cider, the other should be REALLY hard! Any input would be helpful as I am not sure if I did it right. I used champagne yeast, fermax nutrient, and that's it. Some sugar in one batch, none in the other. Oh yeah, and some Campden tabs. Sound ok? Thanks for writing. I think I'll be camping on this site for a while. It's pretty awesome!

I made a "perry" about 4 years ago, one a straight perry and another that was half and half peach, I haven't kept notes until recently...You may find, like I have, that champagne yeast is a long term aging project but can be very worthwhile. I tend to like us-05 and red star cotes de blanc for white wines and ciders. I also found that some tannin, and acid really made my ciders and wines tasty...Your mileage may vary.

Latest posts

Back