Hello from the Detroit area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotCline

Reaction score
Hello,
Just getting into home brewing. Wanted to do this for a while. Finally got a kit, and I am going to try the Brewers Best Pumpkin Spice Porter tonight. Wish me luck! I am sure questions will soon follow!

Hello! Welcome aboard the most addictive hobby ever. I started just over a year ago, and I can't say that I enjoy anything more. Don't hesitate to post up your questions! I would advise wasting many hours surfing through these forums, too. There's a LOT of info :)

Cheers!
-blake

Hi, welcome, there's a ton of us on here from Michigan, and quite a lot of us from the metro detroit area get together quite often to brew or drink beer. We often meet up at Dragonmead. Or brew as a group at cap n cork, or at each others houses.

We also have bulk grain buys at least once a year. You can watch out for notices about some of that stuff in the Michigan Masher's section of this forum.

Thanks for the welcome. I already posted my first question in the beginner thread. It involves the OG of my first extract kit. Thanks again. Revvy, I will keep my eye out for local Detroit stuff. Right now I am using Adventurers in Beer making as my LHBS. Is this a good place, or is there a better one in the same general area?

Welcome aboard. In my opinion if you live in the downriver area then the guys at Adventures are the best place to go. I sometimes travel 45 min from the northern suburbs to visit and shop there.

Enjoy tHe homebrewing experience, I just reopened my brewery this year after a 6 year hiatus and am glad I did!

Here's to good beer! Homebrewed!

. Right now I am using Adventurers in Beer making as my LHBS. Is this a good place, or is there a better one in the same general area?

To me Cap N Cork, and Adventures are the two best in Metro Detroit. I think in terms of what they have and cleanliness of the store, freshness of ingredients, proper storage of yeast and hops, knowlegability and friendliness of the staff, they are pretty even. In terms of those stores I think it really depends on where you live and where you want to drive to. If you're an east sider C&C is the place to go...if you're west of Woodward into the western suburbs, adventures is the place.

Cap N cork is my home shop, it was also the first in Michigan, and Art the (now retired) owner is a legend in the brewing community (he helped most of the other homebrew shop owners get their start, either by advising them, or having them work at his shop) but I go to, or order from and pickup at adventures on occasion. They get some things like kegs and Oak Barrels that other places can't get as much.

So you're good either way.

Back