Hello from Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie66

Reaction score
Hello ya'll, my name is Wilson. I've found this forum when I started to look for how to progress my beer brewing to the next level. I've been lurking, more than posting, and have really enjoyed the information sharing here. Thanks!

My brew history is:
- Started extract brewing in 1995.
- Took a hiatus due to career, marriage, and kids
- Restarted after purchasing a Grainfather system in 2015
- Just finished brewing my 31st AG home brew batch since restarting
- All 5 gallon batches
- Just started to do cider in addition to beer

Brew practice:
- All mashes use two step sacchrification rests
- Beta Amylase at 145 at 15 minutes
- Alpha Amylase at 153 at 45 minutes
- Mash out at 167 at 10 minutes
- Sparge at 165, using GF recommendations for mash and sparge.
- All boils are 90 minute boils
- Ferment for approximately 7 days in a primary
- Just switch to a Stainless fermenter
- I am old school, I transfer to glass carboy for a secondary for another 21 days
- Hate bottling, keg everything
- Mostly use natural carbonation
- Occasionally use forced carb

Currently do nothing with water chemistry and use simple Frisco Texas tap water. Fermentation temperature control is nearly nonexistent, and occurs at room temp in a Texas house; 70 in the winter months, and with a water bath during the summer months.

Started brewing with "Papazian," and progressed to "Palmer"

I want to learn more... What is next?

Hi @Willie66. Greetings from Plano. Glad to hear you like the Frisco water...not sure I could pull the trigger to try a batch with Plano water!

Hey. Long time Alaskan getting ready to move to Texas. HBT will always be “home”.

Hi @Willie66. Greetings from Plano. Glad to hear you like the Frisco water...not sure I could pull the trigger to try a batch with Plano water!

Same water I believe (north Texas water authority). What is you specific concerns, and what do you use?

I’ve been using spring water from
Walmart...I’ve been worried about the chlorine in the water, but maybe on my next batch I’ll throw caution to the wind, save myself $5 in ingredients, and just use tap water!!

I’ve been using spring water from
Walmart...I’ve been worried about the chlorine in the water, but maybe on my next batch I’ll throw caution to the wind, save myself $5 in ingredients, and just use tap water!!

Campden should take care of chlorine and/or chloramine. One tablet is typically good for 20 gallons of water.

Campden should take care of chlorine and/or chloramine. One tablet is typically good for 20 gallons of water.

I also avoid the couple times a year that I can smell the chlorine, and I preboil my mash water before adding to the Grainfather, and dilute to temperature. Same method used for sparge water, boil and dilute to temp.

Back