Hello from Texas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinkjr

Reaction score
I am a new brewer just coming off a 6 year hiatus from brewing. In those six years i got married, bought a house, had 2 kids... So life is calming down a bit now and I can get back brewing. I live in the Mckinney area of North Dallas. If anyone is in the area let me know. I am always up for meeting new people.

I brewed for about 2 years. I was mainly a mini-mash or extract brewer. My best beer that I did was a vanilla bean stout. I was really happy with that one. I have a newcastle clone that I am going to be doing soon. I have an american lager in my primary right now. But I am not going to talk about that one. (Made a noob mistake....)

I have one bottle left of my Vanilla Bean Oatmeal Stout left. I brewed that almost 3 years ago. I never did like it that much.
Brewing now is Edwort's BeeCave Brewery Haus Pale Ale (a member recipe)
On tap is a Milk Stout that I don't care a whole lot for and is severely under carbed (I think the keg has a leak), and my all time favorite so far, the Austin Homebrew Greenbelt Pale Ale (that turned out more like an IPA).

Have you shopped much at the Homebrew HQ there in Richardson? I've only been in a 5-6 times, usually not terribly friendly except once or twice

Hello,
welcome back, I'm over in Frisco. Just got back from HomeBrew Headquarters. I'm brewing up a small batch of IPA tomorrow. What do you have going?
Randy,
:fro:

Have you shopped much at the Homebrew HQ there in Richardson? I've only been in a 5-6 times, usually not terribly friendly except once or twice

Not to highjack but that's incredible to me. They have always been nothing but nice (to me), even on the busiest days. But I do tend to stay away on weekends or during lunch hours. Where do you shop?

Austin Homebrew, pretty much exclusively. 2 out of 5 times there have I walked away feeling like I got the help i was looking for.

Regarding the Homebrew HQ I mean.

Man sorry to hear that. I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. I am a brand noob and ask some stupid stuff sometime and they have always been very helpful and courteous about it. The young guy there can seem a little disconnected sometime. But I haven't seen him in awhile. There is a new guy that rambles quite a bit. Never tried Austin HB but then I'm not much of a online shopper.

Welcome. Have you heard of Franconia Brewing in Mckinney? They sell at some restaraunts there and the beer is great.

Welcome. Have you heard of Franconia Brewing in Mckinney? They sell at some restaraunts there and the beer is great.

They also have a tour every Sat. morning at 11:00. Well worth the $5.00. Free beer before and after the tour. But it can make for a long day if you have too many.

Also check out winemakers toystore. Priced more competitively than homebrew HQ. Haven't been into Homebrew HQ so know nothing about the service, etc.

9 am mash in coming way too soon - especially because I have some additional modifications I want to make to my system that'd piss of the neighbors (Drilling some more holes...)

north texas here too. they're killer busy at homebrewhq on weekends, but if you can get there any other time, the 35+ yo guys will talk your ear off. i don't get there much, but they're a good bunch of guys, as a whole

Hi, and welcome back to the obsession. My son is at the Lackland Air Force Base for basic training, so anything that mentions TX peaks my interest.

As for the vanilla, my advise is to add it early in the fermentation. I've found that adding it before, or even at, pitching the yeast, it'll blend well. Adding it later seems to overwhelm the other flavors. Also, I use whole vanilla beans, sliced in half, and pitched before the yeast. I didn't worry about sanitation.

Back