Hello from Tennessee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMathew

Reaction score
I'm basically here to learn as much as I can while waiting for the funds to jump into brewing.

Welcome. Minimum funds needed just to do a simple brew. Grab some apple juice or honey and ferment. Learning comes in many forms.

Welcome to the Gang!

If you're interested in brewing beer, I would do some searching on extract kits and the equipment needed. Five-gallon batches can be made with many items you might already have in your kitchen. A 6.5 gallon bucket and cover is all you need for a fermenter to start off with. A home brewing shop can guide you on what you'd need to get started. I'd do a little research first before you ask for their help though.

Going this route would get you started, and you can branch out as you get comfortable with the process. Of course, post questions here; everyone is willing to help!

Welcome from Missouri, neighbor!
As stated above, do some research here, and through the library. A couple of highly recommended books are:

How To Brew, by John Palmer (I believe the fourth edition is the latest. First edition is free online)

The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing, by Charlie Papazian (I have the fourth edition released in 2014, may be updated)

I would also start small. More Beer has a one gallon kit with recipe kit included for $60. I still use my one gallon equipment for experiments with yeast and additions.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/1-gallon-homebrew-starter-kit-includes-irish-red-ale-recipe.html
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome to homebrewing!
You can brew small batches with regular kitchen equipment, on the stove. Using malt extract is the easiest. For ingredients, visit a Local HomeBrew Store (LHBS) if there's one nearby.

After the boil, chill it by putting the kettle/pot(s) in the sink with cold water. You may need to refresh the chilling water once or twice to get it cool enough, and maybe add some ice toward the end.

When it's down to low room temps (65-70), pour the wort into a suitable fermentation vessel, pitch the yeast and let ferment in a cool place, or look up "swamp cooler." and variations thereof.

Temperature control during fermentation is quite important.

You can brew small batches with regular kitchen equipment, on the stove.
For clarity, are we talking about 1 gallon batches? I ask because for me, chilling 2.5 gallons of wort for a 5 gallon batch with a concentrated boil takes a lot of ice. I use a 2.5 gallon bag and a 1 gallon bag of ice cubes after initially chilling with pre-chilled water.

For clarity, are we talking about 1 gallon batches?
Yeah, small, 1-2 gallon batches.

As an alternative to ice, use refrigerated water, instead.
Keep a few jugs with water in the back of the fridge (if there's enough space).
Use the chilled water (or ice) when the wort has reached the temp of the tap water, or thereabout.

Environmental awareness:
The tap water can be reclaimed for watering plants, or re-refrigerated, once it has cooled down again.

I often make 1-2 gallons of starter wort (from frozen concentrated wort). I follow the same procedure.
But it does take a couple hours to chill to yeast pitching temps.

Back