Hello from Sunny Arizona

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieGator

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Laurie and I found your site from my local Homebrew store! (I love the GotMead site for my mead brewing and needed to find its equivalent for beer and ale...)

I have been brewing mead for about a year and having a BLAST with it. The only problem? It takes too %&(#$& long for the final results. So, I wanted to try home brew to see if I could get something drinkable a little faster than 9 months!

I started a batch of amber ale last night with all of the flutters of the nooB. This morning I went in to check on it and it is a very happy camper in the bathroom. (Using the bathtub is great in case of "meadcanos", I had some cherry cyser explode all over it last spring.) I have read some EXCELLENT advice on this site! I will continue to read and "use my search function" until I find something not addressed! I will also wait until my 5th batch to start anything with fruit. (Although I am DYING to make a cherry stout. Someone at Estrella War had some that was so good!)

I have a batch of dry show mead in the tub and would like to start 2 - 3 more batches of beer/ale before the summer weather comes upon us. Somewhere on this site, I found the hints for AZ summers like bathtub, wrapping carboy in towel and fan to decrease my ambient temps while brewing. When it hits 120F outside, the bathroom I brew in usually gets into the high 80's. I will try that hint to see how well the brewing goes. There are always experiments to be run with mead to see which mead tolerates high temps and doesn't come out like rocket fuel... :cross:

I may ask stupid questions like "what do I brew that would taste like this?" (mainly looking for a good chocolate stout) but I am hoping to keep the "should I dump this" down to a dull roar. I already did a mead dump that I should have bottled and left to sit. I am still kicking myself for that one... (headdesk headdesk headdesk)

Thanks for the great site! I am looking forward to getting a LOAD of info from it!

Laurie

Cool!

I am going to try to find a local brewing group here around the Phoenix area. Any time I can get with folks who brew stuff is a good thing!

I have never heard the term 'zonies before. I will have to use that one in the future!

Never heard of 'zonies? That's what we called the folks down in Green Valley when I was at UA. Or was it zombies?

Cool!

I am going to try to find a local brewing group here around the Phoenix area. Any time I can get with folks who brew stuff is a good thing!

I have never heard the term 'zonies before. I will have to use that one in the future!

Hey Laurie, I'm here in Maricopa too! That would be great to start a HB group out here,we must set the wheel in motion.Also I really want to try brewing some mead,and will most likely need help,perhaps I can help with your beer.

hi all
i am down in maricopa as well and i brew with a couple other guys we should start a homebrew (and mead) group down in cow country:mug:

We have three clubs here in AZ and I believe there is an online club floating around too. They might be able to help you start your own. If you get a hankerin', BA has a club meeting on the 15th at the White Tanks.

Liquid Courage and all other Maricopa Brewers, I'd be happy to head up something like a Maricopa Brewers group. I know Liquid is interested, anyone else? I'll also put a post on 85239. Chimone, we'll accept people from Sierra Vista if you'd want to join.

Back