Hello from STL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minbari

Reaction score
Have been a fan of beer since I was old enough to drink but never really considered making it, lol.

putting together my brew gear list for now, in a few months I should have it all built. (hopefully) Then I can try my hand at the elixir from the gods!

Looks like a nice, knowledgeable group here, I have already learned alot from reading.

Welcome to the obsession! As you can see from my screen name, I'm also here in StL so I wanted to reach out and say hi and offer my assistance. I've only been at this since this past summer, so I'm by no means an expert nor a veteran. But I've accumulated a few lessons learned and established some familiarity with some of the local homebrew shops, so feel free to ping me if you think I can help.

Cheers :mug:

What is a good LHBS? there is one here in chesterfield that just opened up, but they really dont have much in the way of hardware.

St. Louis Wine & Beermaking is in the Lamp & Lantern center. They're probably the biggest, have the most stuff (ingredients, supplies, hardware, etc.) but they can be a little pricey. I'm wondering if you're talking about J2 Brewing. They're in the valley. Not much in the way of equipment, but they've got better pricing on ingredients. Friar Tucks also carries some hardware and supplies. I'm in Weldon Spring and there's one near me that's very convenient. I hear Worms Way carries stuff too, but I haven't been there. The only other place I've been that's good is over in Belleville - Happy Hop Homebrew.

Again.. good luck and.. use this forum. Chances are good that ANY question you have has been asked and answered here. There's a ton of experienced folks here that are happy to share.
If you're looking for equipment, check Craigslist. I got my initial stuff off there.

Welcome to the forums! Great info here! STL Beer and Winemaking is where I go when I go to the city. (Im 1 1/2 hours west of you all) Being a member of AHA and/or a brewclub will get you 10% percent off. Never had a problem with them and seem like good folks. STL has 2 pretty good brew clubs it seems as well and some of their members are on here. Biermuncher is one. Dont know him personnally but read alot of his post and recipes and seems well respected on the forums. ( I m in a club where I live or I would go to a STL club)

Feel free to ask if you need anything else!

StLouBrew...What/where is the shop in Weldon Spring? Would like to check it out sometime as well.

Prost!

St. Louis Wine & Beermaking is in the Lamp & Lantern center. They're probably the biggest, have the most stuff (ingredients, supplies, hardware, etc.) but they can be a little pricey. I'm wondering if you're talking about J2 Brewing. They're in the valley. Not much in the way of equipment, but they've got better pricing on ingredients. Friar Tucks also carries some hardware and supplies. I'm in Weldon Spring and there's one near me that's very convenient. I hear Worms Way carries stuff too, but I haven't been there. The only other place I've been that's good is over in Belleville - Happy Hop Homebrew.

Again.. good luck and.. use this forum. Chances are good that ANY question you have has been asked and answered here. There's a ton of experienced folks here that are happy to share.
If you're looking for equipment, check Craigslist. I got my initial stuff off there.

Ya, it was j2 brew. I work across the street from there.

I may have to take a look at a couple of those. I have already learned more than I though you needed to know to make beer, lol

Welcome. Im also from the STL area. Ofallon MO actually. I normally go to j2 brewing for my grain purchases. STL Beer & wine has a pretty good selection but definitely a bit pricey. Brewers Tru value in St. Peters has an increasingly growing selection. Most of my hardware was purcheased online. Shipping really isnt too bad. Some of my kegging gear was picked up off of craigslist. If you have any questions ask. Ill try to help. Enjoy

StLouBrew...What/where is the shop in Weldon Spring? Would like to check it out sometime as well.

Prost!

There's a Friar Tuck's near here. I think it's technically in Ofallon. It's basically a LARGE liqour store, but they also sell a respectable amount of homebrew stuff. They have a good collection of Brewers Best kits, but also DME, LME, grains, yeast, hops, supplies, and some hardware. It also doesn't hurt that they have a fantastic selection of craft brews that you can mix up in sample 6-paks.

They're 5 min from my house and I've made an emergency run or two there when I was in the middle of brewing or bottling/kegging and something went wrong.

Cheers :mug:

I order from morebeer. Com
Free shipping it's the best site I have found

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Greetings! I used to be a cop there in St. Louis, but ended up getting out of the city and moved out here to Indianapolis. I wasn't much of a brewer there, but became one here. It's a really fun hobby and after the initial cost of investment (i.e. equipment), it can be a very cost effective hobby if you down a lot of beer.

Anyways, welcome to the forums, and good luck on your brews!

Back