Hello from Space City

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat_Sajak

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've always wanted to brew and finally started. I was thinking winter would be good since our winters are around 65deg down here. I did a Coopers stout, with some extra dark malt from the LHBS. I used spring water at first and sanitized everything real good. I got one full day of vigorous fermentation on Christmas Eve, but then after that nothing. While I was placing the fermentation lock in the grommet, I pushed down too hard and flexed the top of the bucket, creating suction and wouldn't you know it, but the lock water peed directly into the beginning wort! And to add insult to injury when removing the primary's lid the same thing happened again! I figure I'll use Popov vodka next time, but so far no weird smells, and the secondary is just kinda sitting there. I figure I'll leave it in the secondary for another two weeks or so and see what happens. I'm already working on a second batch, this time I'm not gonna fool around with water in the lock.

Reading the forum gave me some hope, it's not really ruined till you try it!

Cheers,

Back