Hello from Raleigh, NC!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbfucius

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Like everyone else here, I love beer and recently got into home brewing. Over the past couple of years I've idly looked at the Mr. Beer kit with the thought "Well it might be fun." After a bit of reading, though, it didn't look like something that would get the results I want. Every now and then the topic of home brewing would get brought up with a friend of mine but we never really invested in it - content to drink the micros available at local bottle shops.

Fast forward to the end of September and we decided to finally take the dive. I did a lot of reading and found that most of my Google searches brought me right to this forum with exactly the information I needed. We bought a starter set from the LHBS and a Hoppyum IPA clone extract kit with steeping grains. After three weeks in primary, the IPA is now bottled and sitting in the closet! Two weeks to go until drinking time.

But I wanted more! What I really wanted from the start was an oatmeal stout, preferably of the chocolate variety. After more reading it was pretty clear that an extract kit wouldn't get me a true oatmeal stout. Steeping grains only goes so far, but I didn't have the equipment for all grain brewing just yet. Thanks to DeathBrewer's tutorial I found a way I could do a partial mash with what I already have. A little more reading lead me to ChshreCat's Double Chocolate Snout partial recipe.

I just finished brewing the chocolate stout last night and it's sitting in the fermenter now. If it turns out well, it'll be a nice Christmas present to my friends and myself!

Thanks!

I'm planning on making a MLT out of a rubbermaid cooler or something, but my birthday is coming up and I've been told I'm not allowed to get any more equipment than what I already have until then. :D

Latest posts

Back