Hello from Potomac Falls, Va.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webnmar

Reaction score
I can officially say I am now a HomeBrewer!!!

Quoting someone from an earlier post, and in my best Tom Hanks voice from "Castaway" --- I MADE BEER!!! :rockin:

I am the redundant story of SWMBO buys Mr. Beer for me for Christmas '08. On Feb 7, 2009; I brewed my first batch of High Country Canadian Draft. Bottled on Feb 17th, I just opened my first brew today.

AND IT WAS GOOD!!!!!!

Yeah, yeah, I know, what about 3-2-1, or 3 weeks at 70F, remember this was Mr. Beer. The great torture invention that promises beer in 2 weeks.

Well I stretched it to three weeks for the first opening. It was crisp and refreshing, no cider flavor, but it was dry. Still green I presume, but I expect it will only get better from here. And if that is the case, then yummy!!!

I want to give a big SHOUT OUT and THANKS!!! to this site, some key members, and myLHBS for all the advice and help in getting started. You are all invaluable, friendly, supportive, and I am sure great drinkin' friends!!

Thanks to:
Revvy
ShafferPilot
YooperBrew
and a ditto on Buckeye's post from 8/26/2008.

Also thanks to my LHBS in Falls Church, Virginia. myLocalHomeBrewShop is now open!

All of you had willingness to put up with our early questions and more importantly, keep us thinking Yes We Can!!

As a newbie, I figure I can still ask a question though....
I put my new brew in the fridge Thursday pm. It was very clear looking in the bottle. Today(Sat), when I took it out to open it, it was cloudy again. I didn't expect that. I thought that the fridge cold would make it even clearer. Anyone see this before? (HeeHee) I imagine you all have, but was curious why it clouded up again. Not too much, but some.

PS. Will now be able to change my signature and also add a picture of my first baby!!

Glad to hear the good news, unfortunately you're hooked now.:D

A warm welcome from down here near Richmond. :mug:

Yeah, you're definitely hooked. I recognize it because I have the same monkey on my back. And like any man's hobby, it's a money pit. One of my guidebooks said something about saving money by brewing at home. Based only on the cost of the ingredients, that may be true: my total expenditure is about $20-25 per case of final product. But factoring in the price of equipment I "needed" along the way, that cost per case is probably closer to $125.

Whats up with all of these VA brewers coming out of the woodwork?
This rocks!
-Me

Welcome, I'm just down the road from you in Alexandria, actually I live just a few miles up Leesburg Pike from myLHBS. I stop in there occasionally when I'm in desperate need of something but I prefer to give my business to MD Homebrew up in Columbia.

Welcome! I happen to be in Alexandria, too. It seems there might be quite a few people from the DC metro area floating around this board. Maybe it's time to start a DC Brew Club...

There already is a NoVa brew club. Don't know anything about them yet, they apparently meet in Sterling. Next meeting is 3/17. I plan on attending. Here is there website - NoVA HomeBrew

Back