hello from phx

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkTrucker

Reaction score
hey everyone. im fairly new at homebrewing. im on my third batch right now. my first two were pale ales and the third is a red ale. i was wondering if there was any brewers in phx, az that would know where to get carboys pretty cheap. if u could help me out id appreciate it

Welcome to the forum. I usually buy them at the local brewshop (brewersconnection) in Tempe. I don't mind paying a few dollars extra to support them for they have helped me out a whole lot while learing. I have seem some on craigslist on various classified adds. Always glad to see another brewer in Phx.

What anthrobe said.

I also go to Brewersconnection as well as Homebrewdepot. Some here go to What Ale's Ya. I have yet to do that, but I like to spread it around when it comes to LHBS.

Welcome

I get most of my stuff from Brewers Connection too. Great bunch of guys over there :)

Seems like we are getting a bunch from AZ here, maybe we need to look into creating a club if no one is currently apart of one. Maybe, HomeBrew Talk Local Chapter 120 :)

Cregar said:
I get most of my stuff from Brewers Connection too. Great bunch of guys over there :)

Seems like we are getting a bunch from AZ here, maybe we need to look into creating a club if no one is currently apart of one. Maybe, HomeBrew Talk Local Chapter 120 :)

I am game. I used to go to Homebrewdepot but my beers just did not turn out as well with their recipes, ingredients, and such. We should look into getting everyone together for a brew session or at least sampling each others brews. Bad part is I will be out of town all December.

anthrobe said:
I used to go to Homebrewdepot but my beers just did not turn out as well with their recipes, ingredients, and such.

They've recently gone through a change of ownership, though I can't say I've had your bad experience.

As for a get together, I'm in. I think we are all going to be jammed up come holiday time. Probably nothing can happen until we get some catchy acronym right?

Sounds good... we could plan a get together after the holiday seasons are over.

Sorry to had changed the subject bigjon88, but this is the first post that actually just had brewers from AZ talking. Stop by Brewers Connection, they will hook you up :) and welcome to the forum.

You can always just stop by and visit with many of the other valley brewers and see all the different brewery setups. The Brewout starts at 8 but several start setting up as early as 7:30.

Wild

I talked to a buddy of mine who is interested in getting in homebrewing and was thinking about going, I might just go to the Tempe Art Festival on Sun. So we could show up for the Brewout on Sat.

I seem to end up at the Homebrew Depot because of location. I also have had a great time with the two guys at the Connection. Welcome to the Forums

ive been to brewersconnection a few times. i was just there today. i went and got a cream ale kit. i figure ive got a few more brews in my plastic buckets. ill probably go get some carboys in a few weeks or so. maybe santa will bring me some for christmas.

Bigjon, I think I remember you.

This is Steve, one of the guys that works at Brewer's Connection.

It is always good to read the reports of you all, coming in and supporting the local HBS! When you come in, let us know you are Forum members. I'm real interested in meeting all of you. No, I'm not the owner, that would be Jeffrey. I'm just one of the employees.

steve

Thanks for telling me about What ales ya. Thats a nice location. Not too far from my house. i like Brewersconnection but its a pain to drive all the way to tempe. I want to check out Homebrewdepot also. How are they on prices and stuff?

Ken at the Homebrew Depot is friendly and very knowledgeable. I haven't been there since stewarding the ASH Oktoberfest Competition but the items I've bought there were very reasonable. But if you're close to What Ales Ya, then making a trip to Guadalupe and the 101 will be a trip. (Pack a lunch) :D

Wild

Hey steve i wanted to thank u for the sample of pear wine u guys gave me when i was there last friday. i dont know if u were there or not, but if u could pass the word along i liked that stuff. the pear flavor was real good, it surprised me. i might have to try my hand at wine making also.

skou said:
Bigjon, I think I remember you.

This is Steve, one of the guys that works at Brewer's Connection.

It is always good to read the reports of you all, coming in and supporting the local HBS! When you come in, let us know you are Forum members. I'm real interested in meeting all of you. No, I'm not the owner, that would be Jeffrey. I'm just one of the employees.

steve

I will look for ya when I go back in at the end of the year. I am just so bummed out that I have to travel for work and not brew beer. I am planning on brewing 3 batches in one day (extract of course) as soon as I get back. Those empty taps are looking lonely

I may as well jump in! I am on my 4th batch but bought a freezer and external temp control after the first. The brewing schedule is really stepped up for the winter! Do all the other desert dwellers take advantage of the cooler (and optimal fermentation temps for ales) of December and January? What is the exact address of the Home Brew Depot?

Oh yea, our ground water has been around 50ish lately. Makes for a great cold break. So much better than summertime.

lv426 said:
I may as well jump in! I am on my 4th batch but bought a freezer and external temp control after the first. The brewing schedule is really stepped up for the winter! Do all the other desert dwellers take advantage of the cooler (and optimal fermentation temps for ales) of December and January? What is the exact address of the Home Brew Depot?
The address of the HomeBrew Depot is:
2655 W. Guadalupe Rd. Suite 12.
Conveniently located at in the Carriage Lane Plaza, Mesa, Arizona 85202. Take the 101 Freeway to the Guadalupe exit (just East of the 101 Freeway).

Later,
Wild

Hello guys,

I am very new to home brewing as I just got my kit last week. I have my first attempt just off the burner last night, so we'll see how that turns out in a couple weeks. By the way, i should say I am in Phoenix, AZ as well

thats cause phoenix is the place to be. ive know people that have moved away and most end up moving back. i guess cause it doesnt get that cold and doesnt rain alot.

bigjon88 said:
thats cause phoenix is the place to be. ive know people that have moved away and most end up moving back. i guess cause it doesnt get that cold and doesnt rain alot.

Frickin cold today in PHX!
3712-temp.JPG

I was wondering who all in Phoenix is going to the the annual "What Ale's Ya Holiday Brew Out" this Sat (Dec. 2nd)? I am planning on going and bringing a friend who is interested in learning to brew.

I was hoping to also get someone with some experience to taste a bottle of my first batch, it has a off flavor too it that I just can't describe.

Where is that taking place? I would love to check that out. I used to live in Mesa, but I just purchased a house in Maricopa.

Cregar said:
From what I read in earlier post, it suppose to start at 8 am. I'm sure wild would know for sure.

Sorry 'bout the late post. I was on vacation. You're right, 8 am was the start time and some were setting up at 7 am. I got there at 8 and hung there until 5 pm helping some of the brewers load and unload. Then several of us went to Rock Bottom and enjoyed some of Jeff's brews.

Fun time was had by all.

Wild

My buddy and I got there around 10 am and hung out till around 2 pm. He want's to get into brewing but for some reason had to actually see the process from a bunch of people doing it. He's exciting about starting now :)

We had a great time, we pretty much hung out and talked with a guy named Alen (I think.. I have a very bad memory, especially when i drink) and his buddy. They where brewing 2 porters, 1 extract and 1 all grain.

I look forward to going to another one.

Very cool good to see so many AZ brewers! I'll have to update my profile but I'm from Sierra Vista. :) Nice to see another S.V.'er here!

Wow, lots of Arizonans here :) I've been to both Brewer's Connection and What Ales Ya, and they've both been incredibly helpful towards this newbie.

Hey, I've been to BC, too! In fact, I was there for 9 hours today. (We were busy, today!) Haven't been to Chucks's place, though. One of these days, maybe.

steve

Hello!

Well this Christmas I received what I have wanted for a while.... a Brew Kit!!

I think I'm a little late on this thread but thought I would say hi since I'm from Phoenix.

You all seem so nice! I hope to learn a lot and get involved in the brewing community.

*wave*

Blackline, welcome aboard!!

Any questions, give me a call, or send a PM!

Which brew kit did you get? I must have sold 15 of them, last week.

(Oh, you can find me at Brewer's Connection.)

steve

Latest posts

Back