Hello from Philadelphia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basepaul21

Reaction score
Hi all, name's Paul. I'm brand new to the brewing world. I live in the Roxborough/Manayunk area of Philadelphia, and just started my first beer on Saturday (3/5/11). I decided to go with a Nut Brown Ale (Munton's extract kit) for my first brew. It's currently in the fermenter, bubbling away. So far it's a lot of fun, I can't wait to taste my first batch!

No better feeling than the taste of beer hitting your lips THAT YOU MADE! Congrats, and welcome from a rookie member, also!

Welcome aboard :mug:

Ahh, there is nothing like your first. Your first batch of beer is pretty good as well ;)

Thanks for the welcome guys! This forum is great. Mwmoose: I'm originally from Blue Bell/Worcester area, and went to the Keystone Homebrew Store to buy my kit. Their new location is pretty awesome.

Welcome, congrats on getting started on that first batch. . I live in Philly, the area seems to be well represented on the forums.

All i can say is, brew another batch ASAP!

Basepaul, I love keystone's new location. I am there it seems, every other week. I can't wait till they announce their new class schedule. All grain training is one of them.

I am a noob to brewing/HBT and am also in manayunk. I think we brewed the same kit for our first batch. Im only 5 batches in but I can already tell im going to be obsessed

Yo, I'm just starting my brewing endeavors in Philly as well. I'm only on my second batch, a Sierra Nevada clone, but I started with a nut brown. I didn't time it right though, because I depleted my first batch before I started #2.

Where are you supplying? Any good shops up on the Manayunk side of town?

-RPM

Where are you supplying? Any good shops up on the Manayunk side of town?

-RPM

My parents live in the Blue Bell/Skippack area, so whenever I go home, I usually stop by the Keystone Homebrew Store near the Montgomery Mall. I haven't found anything closer than that yet, but I just started brewing this month.

Hi all, name's Paul. I'm brand new to the brewing world. I live in the Roxborough/Manayunk area of Philadelphia, and just started my first beer on Saturday (3/5/11). I decided to go with a Nut Brown Ale (Munton's extract kit) for my first brew. It's currently in the fermenter, bubbling away. So far it's a lot of fun, I can't wait to taste my first batch!

That was my first brew as well. I am pretty sure that's Keystone's go to "So I wanna learn how to brew" beer. ;) And oddly enough, my first beer was also brewed in Roxy. My roommates and I lived off of Silverwood, between Parker and Paioli. Now I'm just across the park from you in Flourtown/Erdenhiem.

That was my first brew as well. I am pretty sure that's Keystone's go to "So I wanna learn how to brew" beer. ;) And oddly enough, my first beer was also brewed in Roxy. My roommates and I lived off of Silverwood, between Parker and Paioli. Now I'm just across the park from you in Flourtown/Erdenhiem.

Very cool! I live on Lyceum ("The Wall") by Bob's Diner. I used to work on the Rte. 309 reconstruction project that's been a burden for the last decade, so I know your area pretty well.

I read your post and definitely want to get into the homebrewers clubs, like your G.L.U.B. club, and maybe join the one at Keystone (though I believe I missed their meeting last night).

I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch this weekend, and am trying to decide on beer #2 once my fermentor opens up. I still only have the basics so I won't be doing any mashing, but maybe some specialty grains to steep before the boil. Maybe a Chinook IPA? I'm open to suggestions (and like all different kinds of beer). I definitely want to add some hops this time too.

Paul

basepaul21 said:
My parents live in the Blue Bell/Skippack area, so whenever I go home, I usually stop by the Keystone Homebrew Store near the Montgomery Mall. I haven't found anything closer than that yet, but I just started brewing this month.

There are a few shops in Philly, the one I've been hitting is Home Sweet Homebrew around 21st and Sansom. I know there are a couple more, one in south Philly in particular.

It's not surprising considering how beer-centric this city is.

There is a suspicious lack of use of the word "jawn" in this thread. :p

:mug: Well played.

RMoore109 said:
There are a few shops in Philly, the one I've been hitting is Home Sweet Homebrew around 21st and Sansom. I know there are a couple more, one in south Philly in particular.

It's not surprising considering how beer-centric this city is.

Barry's Homebrew is the store in South Philly. It's on the corner of Front and Snyder ... for the time being. The building is going to be sold, Barry is retiring and they're looking to upgrade the store to a larger facility. I've been hearing they might move to somewhere in Northern Liberties.

Its nice to see how many current of past yunkers there are in this site. I am a transplant from the northeast (mayfair). Currently BackSplash Brewery is out of my garrage at Manayunk and Rector. And both Keystone and Home Sweet Homebrew are great places. HSHB is so mom and pop plus Gorge is a welth of knowledge. And Keystone has what ever you need when ever you need. But as said above you have to brew regularly to make sure you dont run out... I know from experience.

Philly's a great beer town! Glad to hear of new brewers, welcome man. I'm down South Philly. I go to Barry's- he's only a few blocks away (perfect for grabbing whatever my absentminded self forgets on a brewday). Yeah, he mentioned the shop moving. I'll believe it when I see it. Home Sweet Homebrew is a good joint too. A little closer to Manyunk. I also order a lot online (Austin Homebrew). I concur, start brewing another batch--keep that train rolling so you don't run out. Let us know how that sweet, sweet first brew comes out (it's gonna be great).

Man, if Barry's Homebrew moved into No'Libs I'd be psyched! I'm in Fishtown myself and having a shop in my backyard would be killer.

-RPM

Thanks for all the insights, guys! I'll be bottling either today or tomorrow, so I need to buy #2 very soon. I just don't know what to buy yet. I think I'm ready for something a little more involved, like some specialty grains or even dry hopping. We'll see.

And welcome to all the other new Philly brewers! :mug:

Im also in the Blue Bell area, and am trying to upgrade from my mr. beer kit which I got as a gift. Brewed 1 beer with it but I want to get into something more intense. I live close by Keystone Homebrew so will probably try there. Did you think the basic kit they have comes with enough and is a good buy?? I listed the inclusions from there website below. I saw on amazon they have a 6 gallon glass carboy for 28$ so I was thinking about adding that to the mix.

Primary fermenter, 6 gal., food grade plastic
Bottling bucket with spigot, 6 gal.
Airlock
Stick-on thermometer
Auto Siphon
Hydrometer
C-Brite cleaner, ten 0.8 oz packs
Bottle brush
Priming sugar
Bottle capper/caps

yeah i would def get the glass carboy as a secondary, i know other brewers use there bottling bucket as either there primary or secondary. but i never trust something with a spigot hold 5+ gallons of sweet sweet beer in my closet (which is were my beer ferments)

WELCOME PHILLY BREWERS!

If you guys are looking for a big Beer Club we have one with over 120 members. At least 60 come to our monthly meetings @ Iron Hill in Maple Shade.

We here in South Jersey we are always having Pallet buys of grain if you are a all grain brewer.

Tom

Did you think the basic kit they have comes with enough and is a good buy??

I bought the basic kit, and it's got most of the stuff you need. The thermometer that comes with the kit is one you stick on the outside of the fermenting bucket, so you'll need a separate one for pre-fermenting temperature readings (like making sure that your boiled water is cool enough to put dehydrated yeast in and not kill them). I also bought some other stuff separately, like a large metal spoon, sponges, rubber gloves, and a turkey baster (dedicated to only the hydrometer readings).

I think it's a great buy. It only costs about $65, and with all the stuff they throw in there it's definitely worth it.

Other than that, I'd recommend a 4+ gallon brew pot, because it's going to try to boil over if you use anything smaller.

I, too went with the basic kit and made my own upgrades as I needed them. You'll find what you want/like and can customize from there.

Back