Hello From PA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesauer

Reaction score
I've been poking around for a while and after putting my first homebrew in the fermenter decided it was time to join. It's a recipe I found for Stone 4th anniversary IPA which I added larger amounts of hops to. Hoping it turns out ok. 12 hours into a quite aggressive feremntation, the lid blew 3 times--with a blow off tube hooked to an airlock. I've since ditched the airlock entirely and shoved 3/8 tube directly into the grommet. 3 hours after the change, I have no bubbles or krausen in the tube--was packed with it earlier. Being a rookie, I'm not quite sure what to make of the lack of activity. If anyone has any input, I'd love to hear it, or point me to a thread someone already started. Thanks!

Welcome! where are you from in Central PA?

Do you have it in a bucket or carboy? if it isn't an exact fit air could be getting out elsewhere or the fermentation is just slowing down. I normally notice super aggressive fermentation 6-8 hours after pitching my 1 liter starters, high krausen within 24 hours and then it peters out over the next few days. My girlfriend makes fun of me for checking on fermentation all the time, but I like checking in on my little yeast buddies to see if they are working or not.

I am sure your beer will turn out great, just give it time to do it's thing and don't sweat the small stuff.

Back