Hello from Ontario

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchum

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Im brand new to home brewing. I love craft beer, and figured making some will be challenging yet rewarding. Ive been gathering equipment and doing research for about a month and a half now, after I helped a friend do an extract brew and loved the end result. I am going to be doing an all grain brew in a bag system until I can afford more equipment.

Tomorrow I will be doing my first brew and have read alot (on here) about yeast starters. most people say 24 hours is enough time, however all threads talk about liquid yeast vials or smackpacks. Im using dry Ale yeast (safale us-05)

Does the same advice apply?
Or Should I just pitch the dry yeast into the wort?
Thanks

Rehydrate the yeast in boiled and then cooled water, cool the water to 105F, add dried yeast, let sit (dont stir) for 30 mins, then mix it all up and add to the wort. A sanitized mason jar is excellent for this purpose. Sprinkling directly on wort results in a 50% mortality rate IIRC, whereas rehydrating lowers that to approximately 10% mortality.

Also consider joining a homebrew club, I know there are a lot of clubs all around southern Ontario, it's a great way to get more information and have your questions answered (as well as taste fantastic beer). Not sure where in Ontario you're located, so I can't tell you the name of clubs local to you.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

@BigRob gives good advice, hydrate your dry yeast before pitching. But you don't usually need a starter, check an online caluculator like MrMalty. BIAB is a great way to go, I love doing 2.5G BIAB batches.

Hello everyone,
Im brand new to home brewing. I love craft beer, and figured making some will be challenging yet rewarding. Ive been gathering equipment and doing research for about a month and a half now, after I helped a friend do an extract brew and loved the end result. I am going to be doing an all grain brew in a bag system until I can afford more equipment.

Tomorrow I will be doing my first brew and have read alot (on here) about yeast starters. most people say 24 hours is enough time, however all threads talk about liquid yeast vials or smackpacks. Im using dry Ale yeast (safale us-05)

Does the same advice apply?
Or Should I just pitch the dry yeast into the wort?
Thanks

Welcome to the hobby!

I also agree with hydrating, although starters are so much fun! However I'd also use a stir plate for a starter and I start 48hrs before brewing. So take from that what you will.

I'm in SO also. Burlington to be exact. And there are clubs and meets all over the place and not too hard to find.

Good luck with your brew!

Thanks guys.
I live in kingsville which is about a half hour from windsor on lake erie.
I am going to rehydrate my yeast tomorrow before I pitch.
I have started making a stirplate, just need a few more parts
The gopro is charging and i will post the whole experience.
Hopefully I will get some constructive criticism from everyone

Cheers

Welcome to the hobby! I'm located in Windsor. Not too far from you.

Thanks BigRob for the hydrating advice. I brewed last night,and all was successful (so far)
I just got home from work and noticed the beer pushed almost all of my sanitizer out of my airlock. I added a bit more to fill it back up.
Is this normal?
Should I use something other than sanitizer?

Budonze, are there any home brew clubs in windsor?

Hi everyone,

I'm out in Quebec city orignally from Ottawa,

I've been brewing for a year now with extract and just made the change to all grain. I'm looking for a leffe clone recipe and a barbar blonde or barbar bok recipe. Hope someone can help me out Cheers.

I was at the lhbs store today and found a flyer for Windsor Homebrewing guild. I think I may check them out. There is also ECHO (Essex County Homebrewing Org). I'm not sure if they still meet. I sent them an email about 8 months ago and no one got back to me.

I was at the lhbs store today and found a flyer for Windsor Homebrewing guild. I think I may check them out. There is also ECHO (Essex County Homebrewing Org). I'm not sure if they still meet. I sent them an email about 8 months ago and no one got back to me.

Yea I saw a flyer for them as well. Was it at Jakes hop shoppe?
Is there any other stores local to buy equipment or ingredients?

Yes it was at Jakes Hop Shoppe.

They are the only local home brew store now that they just bought Innovative Homebrewing. I used to buy my supplies from ihb.

To be honest, jakes prices are good and now they have all of ihb's inventory. This where I will be shopping now.

The only other place to get your ingredients and equipment is in the U.S. But with the exchange rate and the hassle it's not really worth it unless you are buying something you cannot find in Windsor.

Ps I work the states and still shop on Windsor.

Back