Hello from OK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmabuck

Reaction score
Found this place while researching growing hops.

I recently moved to the NE corner of OK from NM and now have lots of water and land to try and start growing hops. I am still doing the research and I plan on growing around 12 plants this year to see what will really grow well.

From the tiny bit of research I have done it seems these are the best for my climate: Cascade, Nugget, Williamette, Mt. Hood, and Chinook. These being the best because they are Downy Mildew resistant. I also have a variety that is unknown that we find growing wild in NM.

I still have to figure out what the soil is like here and do the research on the pH but I think everything will work out well. I have a good area and setting up a drip system on a timer will be easy.

Anyway, this is my plan. This looked like a good place to find information. I have never brewed but I have many friends that do. In Santa Fe we had some good brews from Santa Fe Brewing Co. and 2nd Street Brewery. I was lucky enough to have friends who worked at SFBC and I spent a lot of time in the back watching the operation. I even did some filming for them when I was in my "I am going to be a short film maker" phase LOL! That phase didn't last long. Especially when I ran out of iMovie canned music and figured out the scrolling Star Wars text was played out LOL!

Love the brewing scene but the hops growing interests me more.

Buck,

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome I still own a house in Sallisaw I hope to retire to in three years!

Back