Hello from Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJkrules

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm 25, and my name is John(I go by TheJKrules online though)

I'm a complete beginner at home-brewing.

I'm not a big beer drinker so I'll probably be learning more about wine and liqour making since I enjoy both of those.

About my distiller I've decided to build my own since I'm pretty good at working with my hands and I think it will help me understand how it works, also I'm not trying to spend $200+ on a distiller until I decide that I enjoy this hobby enought to put that much into. Also because the distillers that are under $200 look like they are very similar to one I could make. There is plenty of resources that teach you how to build one so I'm confident I can build a decent one. Even with that being said there will probably be questions I will have that I'll ask on here throughout the building process.

As for my first brew I'm going to make is still kind of up in the air since it will be my first time, but I was thinking of making a sort of hooch and distilling that, I learned how to make hooch in the county jail and it always came out pretty decent as far as jail hooch goes, but i figured if I used a similar recipe but I used real fruit juice and real sugar and real yeast it might not come out that bad. That will at least show me the ropes then after I understand how everything works ill move onto different stuff. My goal is to make a homemade gin since that is my favorite drink and I think it would be cool to make that.

Tomorrow is when I will be going to get the stuff to build my distiller, I was thinking it might be cool to do a build log on it so people can tell me how I did and maybe what I did wrong. And it might help out someone else that is new to it.

Well I'm glad that I will probably meet some good people on here.

Thank you all for reading my introduction. If you have any questions to ask me feel free.

Hi from Cleveland.

I'd love to make some tequila but don't want to end up making prison hooch instead ;)

https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/home-distilling.shtml

Welcome to the forum. I didn't read the fine print but I think discussion of illegal things (including home distillation of alcohol) here is prohibited.
I didn't realize that, maybe I'll just focus on wine then, I'll have to rethink my whole plan lol.

Hello from Cleveland as well. Welcome!

I think you're able to discuss distilling in the distilling section, however you can't discuss something like adding a bunch of sugar to a bottle of water and adding bread yeast.. stuff like that.

Last edited:
Hi John!

We have an active distilling-based group here. They talk about the ins and outs of distillation--methods, equipment, ingredients, etc. However, it would be a good idea to not discuss any particulars concerning what you are actually doing, regarding distillation. It's a fine line, and I'd hate to see you get in a jam. It's the difference between saying "this is an easy-to-build stovetop still" vs. "this is the stovetop still I am using."

Welcome to HBT, from Minnesota!

Back