Hello from New Mexico

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BatRastard

Reaction score
Hi All,

Received brewing books for Christmas and while I may not be clear on my wife's ulterior motives, definitely looks like it's time to get crackin' on something I have been wanting to do for some time.

I plan to do my research first and expect this forum will be a great asset. I just read the thread outlining what people wish they had known before jumping in and found it both informative and funny. Don't have crap to contribute at this point beyond humor but will try to change that at some point.

I plan on going all-grain on my first batch as I have heard extracts are for wussies.:D Has to be an IPA with mega hops from hell too. Any recipe ideas?

Also intend at some point to integrate green chiles in my brews.

My favorite beer? The one in my hand!

Bat;)

India Pale Ale
I started out brewing with extract and I guess im glad I did but I wouldnt hesitate goin AG right off the bat if you feel comfortable with it. If you have and extra green chile send it my way, I brought 100lbs back with me on thanksgiving and im already out. and there isnt any in a loooong way from here :(

Hello from Abq. What books did you get for xmas? I am glad yer ready to jump into all grain, as it will definitely contribute to some great beers, but don't go swearing off extract before you even start. Many folks make amazing, award winning beers with an extract base, and do it with less equipment and time commitment. Also, I found that having am experienced palate helped work out the initial bumps in my brewing, and the local home brew club was just the thing.

Reminder from: NM_Brewers Yahoo! Group

Title: Santa Fe Homebrew Club

Date: Wednesday January 18, 2012
Time: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Repeats: This event repeats every month on the third Wednesday.
Notes: Visit Google Groups to join

I hope your IPA is just what you wanted. Good Luck!

I got "How to Brew" and "Radical Brewing", which should be a good start. I like to read and research is a fun part of any project so I expect to get more books as I go.

I'm not poo-pooing extract brewing at all and may try it after I know more, just really joking around mostly. I want to do all grain from the start partly for the challenge, partly because the all grain equipment doesn't prevent going to extract, and mostly because Santa Fe Brewing put in a Tap House near my home and the quality is so high and the price so low there is no point brewing my own unless I set my sights higher. Except for the sheer joy of it and as an outlet for my inner mad scientist.

Thanks for the heads up on the club meeting, I've been meaning to make it to one and looks like I can actually make it this week.

Maybe I will see you there,

Bat

p.s. do you know if Happy Camper has been cloned?

Hello from Abq. What books did you get for xmas? I am glad yer ready to jump into all grain, as it will definitely contribute to some great beers, but don't go swearing off extract before you even start. Many folks make amazing, award winning beers with an extract base, and do it with less equipment and time commitment. Also, I found that having am experienced palate helped work out the initial bumps in my brewing, and the local home brew club was just the thing.

Reminder from: NM_Brewers Yahoo! Group

Title: Santa Fe Homebrew Club

Date: Wednesday January 18, 2012
Time: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Repeats: This event repeats every month on the third Wednesday.
Notes: Visit Google Groups to join

I hope your IPA is just what you wanted. Good Luck!

Great books! I am quite partial to "Radical Brewing" because it is just completely zany but profound. I'm with the Dukes of Ale HBC, and probably won't make it up any time soon, but perhaps at the festival they do up at the Pajarito Ski Area, or some other fest.

I really do love the Happy Camper, but have never considered brewing it. A lot of breweries will share information about their brews, or just give you clues on how to brew their recipes, and let you have the fun of unraveling the mystery. I found this on the SFBC website:

Availability: year round
Starting Gravity: 15.5 degrees Plato
Ending Gravity: 2.8 degrees Plato
Malts: 2-row pale, Munich, Crystal
Hops: Cascade, Simcoe, Bravo, Amarillo, Summit
Yeast: House Ale
Alcohol Content: 6.6%

If you have a good idea about the IBUs, I bet you could clone, or come up with something better. Chat with the brewers sometime, maybe they'll even share some of their House Ale yeast!

I like the guys at South West Grape and Grain. They were very helpful when my boyfriend and I started the Mead last year. It'll be a year old on the 31st!

Back