Hello from Loveland, Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumertens

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum, actually the first forum I ever joined. To get so many helpful information in such a quick and easy way is just so cool.
I'm a home brewer for about 1.5 years since my son gave me a little Mr.Beer set. It cought my interest quickly so I switched to the 5 gallon batches, first with extract over to mini mash to the all grain brewing.
Today I'm brewing a wheat beer with all grain the first time. Its a Blue Star recipe which I found at a brerwery supply store here in Cincinnati.
Here my question to all the experts out there. The extract version has a cooking time of 60min while the all grain version is supposed to cook for 90min, although the first hops (16g cascade) are supposed to cook for 60min. What is the reason to cook the wort without any hops for 30 min?

Juergen

Howdy! I used to work at the Ford plant in Sharonville. But that was in the early 80's. I think the 1st 30 minutes is for getting the mashed wort to a boil,& resulting hot break.

Wow, that was quick. Thanks for the answer but what is a hot break? I'm originally from Germany although I live here for over 10 years now. English will always be my second language. Im almost finished with draining the wort and going to start the boil soon.
Should I just boil it for 60min, although I'm collceting 8gal instead of 7gal so better boil a bit longer or my carboy will overflow...

oh, of course now I know what a hot break is..So you mean there is no reason to cook after the hot break for 30 minutes before adding the first hops? That's what I was thinking too.

Back