hello from LI/NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommymac

Reaction score
I was a prety avid homebrewer back in the early/mid 90's but have been out of it for some time after my supplier closed down. Recently I have been looking to get back into things (my fiancee is very happy about that) and am amazed at all the options there are online now. I was brewing all grain and plan to continue with all grain, I just need to pick a site to order my supplies from, do an inventory of what I still have and what I will need and let the fun begin.

I am also a huge fan of message boards and am on several other boards for my other intrests so I needed at least one more to go on and kill som etime:mug:

Tom

Welcome to HBT from a fellow Long Islander! I know the lack of shops is tough... there's one in Farmingdale and one in East Northport, but that ain't quite close enough. I haven't found any online shops nearby though, so plan ahead!

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your LHBS situation. Same here. Some of us less fortunate ones have gone to the internet for our brewing needs.
Do keep a sharp eye on Craigslist though. Many of us have scored pretty good there!

One of my better scores

I just started home brewing and the homebrew supply situation is pretty bad here on Long Island. Also, there are no brew clubs. The only ones I know of are in
Suffolk County. I'd like to join but it's way out there.

After I get some experience under my belt, I like to start a homebrew club for members in Nassau county, Queens and Brooklyn. Let me know what you guys think.

Chris

thanx for the welcome. I didnt know the supply sotre in farmingdale still exsisted and is the one in northport off rt 111? I remember going to a place out near islip somewhere a few years back. There is also a place off the LIE in queens but their supplies are very limited.

Chris i would be intrested in participating in a club. There were a few out here way back when but my old work schedule wasnt conducive to making the meetings. Things are more flexible now so I can get to meetings more.

Tom

Tom,

The homebrew supply store on the LIE has a pretty small selection. About the size of my wife's closet.
They mostly cater to hydroponic lights and supplies.
I've been to Karp's homebrew supply in East Northport. They have a nice selection and the staff is pretty good. It's about an hours drive to get there and they close at six pm.

I belong to the NYC homebrewers guild. They are a good club, I just wanted one that was a little more local. They meet on the third tuesday of every month at Burp Castle in NYC.

last time I was out there they had a prety small selection (the place on the LIE) I have never been to the store in northport, but will take a ride out there when I get a chance. My sister lives in bethpage and I have some friends who live out east so i do get out there sometimes. Even some of the online shops look prety reasonable so at least I have options, although I do miss the guys from NY homebrew.

This week Iwill be doing my inventory of everything and getting a new kettle so i should be able to order some ingredients and be good to go by next week:mug: Now I need to make sure my recipe notebook is still by my dads house.

Tom

New guy here, just registered myself.

I have been to Karp's in East Northport and I was impressed. I had never been to a home brew place before so I didn't know what to expect, but they seemed to have a little bit of just about everything. I got some bottles, gypsum, and a bottle tree on my first visit.

On my second visit, I got some carapils, crystal, amarillo hops, extract, cascade hops, safale-us05 yeast and probably some other stuff I am not remembering. I have been very pleased with their service. They have a really nice hop selection and a couple mills to crush your grains that you buy there.

The place is really an old family owned hardware store, but in the back they have a few isles dedicated to home brew stuff. They also have, what I thought, was very fair pricing for a small, local place. I am about 15 miles or 30 mins away, but I feel it is worth the trip rather than ordering online.

Back