Hello from Finland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeehaw

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Newbie here from Finland. I decided to get into homebrewing a couple months ago, and so I ran into HBT pretty early on after I started researching the subject. What pushed me over the edge to join, however, was when I noticed that a fellow brewer, kharnynb, is from my hometown of Savonlinna. What are the odds! Anyway, gotta shoot him a message.

So, I've been kitting up my brewspace in the garage, and I currently have my first ever brew, an English stout, almost ready for bottling. (FG is currently down to 1.015 with a target of 1.011, so I'm almost there... if I read my refractometer and used the calculator correctly, that is.)

I'm starting out with a BIAB setup that's based on the 8 gal Klarstein Beerfest mash tun. I grind my malt with a Corona-type mill, and I'm using a recirculation pump (little brown pump) with the mash tun, with a plan to upgrade to PID control after I get my control box wired up. I use an immersion chiller to cool the wort.

I plan on kegging my beer, and I got 6 used corny kegs for that. Still need to rig up the CO2 system. The kegs are pin-lock, but the price was worth it.

This forum has been an immense help, and there's a wealth of information on here. I tip my hat to all of you, and I look forward to joining the conversation in due course. Cheers! :)

Somebody has been doing their research and making it their own. Welcome to the site. Cheers:D

welcome :D I'm more than happy to help out with suggestions and tips for local stuff, though I am not as long into this hobby as some here on the forums :D

Hello, and welcome to HBT and the obsession from Tennessee! I also use pin-lock kegs, and I like them much better than ball lock. Parts are readily available and you simply cannot screw up the in/out connections (but you can put the wrong post on the wrong dip tube stud.) My only recommendation is to replace all of the rubber on your kegs (unless they came with newly replaced o-rings.) I also wound up replacing all the poppets on mine with universals, and I have no leaks whatsoever. Again, welcome! Ed
:mug:

Hey Ed, thanks for the welcome! Thanks also for the reassuring pointers on the pin-locks. I'm trying to get my head around the differences (or lack thereof) of US/euro kegs... mine are italian made (two SAFER's, two Nuti's and two AEB's), and I'm having trouble pushing out the poppet valves from the posts after unscrewing them from the keg studs. I'll post a question on the keg section with some photos if I can't figure it out myself. Anyway, thanks again! Y

Back