Hello from DC!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PirateBrewer

Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Alex and I'm a new brewer living in Washington, DC (originally from Long Island, NY). I've been a reader of this site for quite some time and finally decided to actually register! I've read on here that a lot people dream of owning their own brewery/brewpub but I'm actually trying to get on a little bit of a different path. I want to have a career in craft beer sales! I think it's every bit rewarding as actually brewing the beer in that it's on the sales rep to put the final product into people's hands and make sure it's available to drink! I currently work part time for Duvel doing samplings around the DC area, mainly for Brewery Ommegang, but hope that it blossoms into something further for me! The first batch that I brewed was an Imperial IPA (extract) and I'm really looking forward to doing some more batches soon!

welcome. i'm in the NOVA area and in DC everyday for work, so if I see some Duvel tastings around I'll be sure to hit you up!

welcome. i'm in the NOVA area and in DC everyday for work, so if I see some Duvel tastings around I'll be sure to hit you up!

Haha I'm the exact opposite right now..I live in DC but head into NoVA for work (I work in the Ballston neighborhood of Arlington). I'll definitely be sure to post any samplings I'm holding on the board in the "Brewing Events & Local Gatherings" section of the forum! I look forward to meeting you!

Thanks all! I really look forward to learning more about the brewing process and hopefully switching over to all grain as soon as I can!

have you joined any of the local clubs?

I haven't officially joined any of the local clubs yet. I was recently accepted into the Google Group for DCHomebrewers and know they have a meeting this coming Thursday so I'm going to try and make it to that.

Yarrrrrrr! Yarrrrrrrrr!

Just trying to make you feel at home.

Funny, I just started off my BruRevu feature of my blog doing a three-part review of an Ommegang gift set a friend gave me. And I'm working on a Duvel-inspired clone. I'd love to come to some other tastings and chat!

You should DEFINITELY come up to Wine World in Harford County, MD. ;)

Yarrrrrrr! Yarrrrrrrrr!

Just trying to make you feel at home.

Funny, I just started off my BruRevu feature of my blog doing a three-part review of an Ommegang gift set a friend gave me. And I'm working on a Duvel-inspired clone. I'd love to come to some other tastings and chat!

You should DEFINITELY come up to Wine World in Harford County, MD. ;)

Haha thanks! I have a keen interest in pirates and have studied their lifestyle in my spare time!

I read your reviews on the blog and they are pretty spot on! I was a little surprised to see how the Hennepin tasted after it had been aged. A lot of the people that taste it tell me that it's very clean and crisp. They usually get a little sweetness mixed with some dryness, mainly from the ginger.

The Three Philosophers is spot on! Most people have compared it to a dessert wine or a port. It actually just won a bronze at the GABF in the Belgian-Style Abbey Ale category. I'm looking forward to reading the review on the final beer from the gift set!

I'll definitely see if I can get up to Wine World! It's would be a little bit of a trek for me but spending a few hours there would make up for it! I'll talk to the Market Manager and see how he feels about it!

Then you definitely want to get to Baltimore next year for Privateer day. 2010 was in April. I assume 2011 will be around that same time.

http://baltimore.about.com/od/eventsfestivals/a/PrivateerDay.htm

I'm glad to hear I'm tasting the right stuff in those reviews. Never tried to do a formal tasting before. Plus, I'm doing that at dinner, which I know skews things a bit.

I don't know the guys at Wine World personally. But every time I've been in there, he's had someone showing off something. Plus, he sponsors a local brew club up here. I'm unaffiliate at the moment because of lack of time (new baby) and I'm relatively new to breing after a 14 year haiatus.

I work in DC. We should grab a drinkin' lunch some time. ;)

Heh, thanks for the tip! I'll tell my manager about the place and see what he thinks. I know he was pretty keen on keeping things within NoVA and DC but maybe I can persuade him otherwise.

I'm always down for a drinking lunch! There are also a ton of good happy hours around DC (RFD World of Beer and Chef Geoff's off the top of my head) so that's always an option :mug:

Awesome! Yeah, I'm really trying to get to it especially because of the all grain demonstration. I'm a much better visual learner than I am at say reading instructions so I think it'll be really beneficial for me!

im interested by this, as an AG batch takes about 5 hours.... at it starts at 730.... dunno how thats gonna work out!

im interested by this, as an AG batch takes about 5 hours.... at it starts at 730.... dunno how thats gonna work out!

Not only that but I know where this is taking place as it's about 3-4 blocks away from where I work. It's a high-rise apartment building so this will obviously be a stove top boil...maybe he's only going to do a 3 gallon batch just for demonstration sakes???

Not only that but I know where this is taking place as it's about 3-4 blocks away from where I work. It's a high-rise apartment building so this will obviously be a stove top boil...maybe he's only going to do a 3 gallon batch just for demonstration sakes???

that wont cut time off it.... or at least not a ton.

that wont cut time off it.... or at least not a ton.

So it's official, I will be there tonight! I am going to try and see what kind of craft beer I can find to bring in regards to Octoberfest. I am also going to be bringing a few bottles of my first brew, an Imperial Pale Ale, because as a beginning brewer I need to hear that criticism! :cross:

Ahhh gotcha...well, if you make it I look forward to meeting you and if not, I'm sure there will be lots of other events we can catch up at!

Back