Hello from Columbus, GA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer

Reaction score
Well this all started from one of those lists. You know the one Oprah recommends called "Things I want to do before I die:". Well, my wife and I started one a few years back. We've also had 2 kids since then. Unfortunately, there are more additions to that list than subtractions. We haven't been checking things off. This is mostly due to finances. I mean, you can't just jump in a car and drive to Italy.

Well, I've been seeing those Samuel Adams commercials where they are asking for homebrew submissions. It said to see their website for the kit. So, I checked it out. Is anyone here entering? Just reading the forums it looks like there are some talented people posting here.

Anyway, I like to do my homework before I dive into something. So, I'm just looking around. I haven't brewed the first thing yet. I have skimmed over howtobrew.com and these forums.

I wasn't much of a beer drinker in my early years. Then I joined the Army and was sent overseas without my wife. Away from the standard american beer flavors my appreciation for beer blossomed. I spent some time in England, France, and Germany. To each his own, but my favorite is the British beers. I'd love to learn to brew those types. My all-time favorite is Caffrey's Irish Ale.

Well just saying hi so my post count doesn't stay at 0 while I lurk around. May all your brews be tasty!

Farmer
drink.gif

Hey Farmer,
I'm also located in Columbus, Ga. Just thought I'd give the neighborly wave. I see its been 2.5 years since your post. I've been brewing for a while, got the all grain thing down to a pat, so I joined looking for recipes and whatnots. Hit me up if you'd like to do a brew day together. Seems like there aren't many local homebrewers here!

Welcome to HBT! Any good LBHS in Columbus or are you ordering online? We do have a vendor in Marietta that is active in HBT.

Well... now that you mention it, the lhbs here doesn't carry any liquid yeast and the hop selection is quite limited. I've been going back home to get most stuff from Doug at "Just Brew It" in Fayetteville. Doug is the man, very helpful and friendly. Check him out if youre in the area.

i live in albany and i've driven to tallahassee before to buy HB supplies, the shop in columbus is a bit closer, but from what i understand its in a garage? is this true? anybody been there that can give me a heads up on it before i drive over?

i live in albany and i've driven to tallahassee before to buy HB supplies, the shop in columbus is a bit closer, but from what i understand its in a garage? is this true? anybody been there that can give me a heads up on it before i drive over?

Well, its not really a garage... It's next to a garage (like car repair) place in a little run down shopping center. He might have what you need if it isn't anything special (like liquid yeasts, certain hops, or growlers).

Haha it is a hole in the wall but so far he has had everything I need. I haven't ventured into anything other than pre-assembled True brew kits.

Hello from Columbus...didn't know anyone else was out there!

Joe (down at the local LHBS) carries most basic staples. Except for yeast (for some reason he only carries dry yeast) he has most of what I have needed. If you get into some of the more esoteric grains, he wont have them, but for most anything else, he's good. Hops can be hit or miss, but normally I can find something that will work. If he doesn't carry it, I am sure he'd order it, maybe, if he like you well enough! :) Hell, I was going through flaked rye like it was going out of style, so he started carrying more of it, knowing I'd buy it up.

He's quite a character, but once you get to know him, he grows on you. I was going up to Doug in Fayetteville, but after the third trip (which is about a 3 hour round-trip not including shopping time for me), it just didn't make economic sense (that's when gas was running almost $4 a gallon. Joe is fine though. There is lots of room for improvment, but apparantly there isn't a big all-grain brewing circle down here...or really a big brewing circle that I have found...so it is what is it. You can always order anything special you need from the internet as I do from time-to-time.

Anyway, good to hear from you all. I normally brew about twice or more a month so if anyone wants to drop by sometime, your welcome over. Is there a HB club around here?

Wow can't believe more people posted to this thread... Amazing, there are homebrewers in Columbus! I highly doubt that there is a HB club in Columbus. I know for a fact that there is one in Auburn (I think that is the closest). I'm totally down for doin some bottle swappin! Hit me up with a pm if youre interested.

Actually there is, I just discovered.

Small from what I understand, started by a gentleman who is opening a microbrew in Phenix City. I believe their next meeting is the second Saturday in May. You can find more information at Index or get information about the club from [email protected]

Meanwhile...what a bummer. Yesterdays weather was perfect, but I was busy working on, well, work, so I go to brew a Roggenbier today...not so good weather. I swear the beer gods hate me. :mad:

Guess I'll have to freeze the grains and hope they keep for two weeks or so...

-N.

Don't do bottle anymore unless I'm teaching someone to brew...much, much to lazy anymore. A keg is like one big bottle, and a lot easier to clean!

Since this weekend is wash for me to brew, and I'm going diving in Florida next weekend, your welcome to drop by the first weekend in May. I'll be doing a mini-mash (what a stupid name...a mash is a mash) Roggenbier.

-N.

Strange? Yes. Have I ever heard of any place? No, but how much is the service worth to you? I'll keg your beer in your kegs for you for the right price! :) Wow, I could start my own business...

See, this could be the next billion dollar industry right here; oh, wait, kegging is a billion dollar industry already...just ask Miller.

Great to know there are some guys from Columbus on here. I am a noob (well not all the way, brewed some years ago, but not many). Would love to hear about any clubs in the area. Happy brewing (and drinking).

Im not sure what the kegging would be worth to me. what does the CO2 cost? I'd like to get away from the tedious task of bottles lol.

If you need help on kegging theory and instructions, I'd be willing to help. Pm me and we can meet up. I'm moving to charlotte, nc at the end of july though.

It's hilarious that this (almost) 3 year-old introduction thread was jacked into a discussion about kegging, with some welcomes thrown in!

So, to keep it going, welcome, Farmer! Too bad we haven't seen you since 2006!

Looks like it's been over a year since the last post. I just moved to Columbus and am wondering where you guys are getting HB supplies and if there is a HB club around. I searched Google and it looks like there might be a store at Britt David Rd. Anybody know?

Thanks!

Back