Hello from Colonial Heights VA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyd

Reaction score
My brewing experience is Zero. I like good beer. The problem with the beer I like is price and availability. I love Avery's Mephistopheles. Only problem is I can only get a 10 oz. serving locally for $14 a glass. I would love to learn to brew something along those lines. I plan on starting with something much simpler.

I am still trying to decide where to start. Do I buy a 5 gal start up kit with the plastic buckets or do I get a kit with glass carboys? Do I buy new or try to pick up someones older brew setup they have outgrown?

We have a couple home brew clubs in the area but I have not been able to attend any of the meetings yet.

I am retired from the US Army and run a veterans outreach program in my area. We primarily do hunting and fishing trips with the local Veterans. I am trying to decide if there is some way to integrate home brewing into the program.

I have also been working on integrating a BBQ/Smoking aspect to the program. During our last fishing trip we made our own BBQ ribs and pulled pork. Sad to say we had to purchase our beer at the store. Would love to have a keg of summer wheat beer for the trip next spring.

I have a background in microbiology and chemistry. I also am a hobby welder with my own MIG, TIG and Stick Machines. I do some basic fab work for friends and family. Willing to trade some work for brewing equipment or hands on experience.

Hello Loyd!
I am new to the home brew as well. My girlfriend bought me a one gallon home brew kit as a gift so i decided to give it a try. I know its not a great setup but it is a great & simple way to introduce yourself to the brewing process. I have found so much kind help and advice on these forums and at the local brew supply house as well. Best wishes on your brewing success!

My brewing experience is Zero. I like good beer. The problem with the beer I like is price and availability. I love Avery's Mephistopheles. Only problem is I can only get a 10 oz. serving locally for $14 a glass. I would love to learn to brew something along those lines. I plan on starting with something much simpler.

I am still trying to decide where to start. Do I buy a 5 gal start up kit with the plastic buckets or do I get a kit with glass carboys? Do I buy new or try to pick up someones older brew setup they have outgrown?

We have a couple home brew clubs in the area but I have not been able to attend any of the meetings yet.

I am retired from the US Army and run a veterans outreach program in my area. We primarily do hunting and fishing trips with the local Veterans. I am trying to decide if there is some way to integrate home brewing into the program.

I have also been working on integrating a BBQ/Smoking aspect to the program. During our last fishing trip we made our own BBQ ribs and pulled pork. Sad to say we had to purchase our beer at the store. Would love to have a keg of summer wheat beer for the trip next spring.

I have a background in microbiology and chemistry. I also am a hobby welder with my own MIG, TIG and Stick Machines. I do some basic fab work for friends and family. Willing to trade some work for brewing equipment or hands on experience.

Welcome Loyd, and BeardedBard. Its a great hobby.
Loyd, it sounds like you have a better background for brewing than many of us when we started.

As for your questions, here is my humble opinion.
Do I buy a 5 gal start up kit with the plastic buckets or do I get a kit with glass carboys? Do I buy new or try to pick up someones older brew setup they have outgrown?
There is a lot of debate on the buckets/carboys matter. For most beers you can get away without a secondary or transferring (despite what is said in the kits you will find at the store). For 5 Gallon batches (and do not feel like you have to start with 5 Gal, 1, 2, 10, whatever size you want is fine) buckets give more headspace for krausen to fill which can reduce the chances of messy blowoffs, they also provide better UV blocking as they are opaque unlike carboys. They also have a built in handle which is nice.
Carboys can be found in multiple sizes, plastic and glass (you will hear about dangers of glass i am sure) and have smaller mouths but you can watch your fermentation which is entertaining and are really good for extended aging. The glass ones are less oxygen permiable, though I have had a beer in a bucket for 6 months+ without any noticeable oxidation.

Either works, buckets tend to be cheaper though.

For most equipment used is fine if you can find it in good shape and at a good cost. I would be wary of used plastic fermentors and other soft plastic items that touch your beer after it has been cooled as they can get scratched and harbor bugs that can give you infections.

The other thing that I wish someone told me when I started was the importance of temperature control while fermenting, especially the first 24-48 hours. Also, note that Airlock activity is not an indication of fermenting only that pressure is different inside and outside the fermenter, relaxing and being patient is key, and to enjoy the hobby.

There is a good group of people here, if you have a question ask, people will answer and maybe throw in a little light banter as a bonus.

Welcome Loyd, good idea wanting to start simpler. I'm not familiar with that beer you mentioned but Very familiar with the "liking good beer" part of your post! As to how deep you jump in to start the hobby: are you the type to start and soon quit? Or do you generally see things thru? A basic setup for brewing 5 gallons at a time (2 1/2 cases) with either pre-mixed kits or extracts is very affordable, and I'm sure you'll get hooked (because you like good beer). You really don't start saving money until you advance to all grain recipes. Time is hardest part of the process IMO, but you being a retired person (like I will be soon, YAY) you should have the opportunity!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Another VA person! Rock on!

I am over in Richmond, on the west endish part. If you check craigslist in our area there are people unloading kits all the time. I think because RVA is a big beer town now, people buy the kits to get into brewing. Then they realize its not just mixing a few things and waiting so they get rid of their kits.

Be sure to check them out. That is how I grabbed up my wort chiller for like $20. We do have a couple brew shops (Original Gravity and The Weekend Brewer) that are nearby. James River Homebrewers (the big brew club in the area) is pretty cool, I didn't really fit in with some of the guys because they seemed stuck up. But it's a good club to check out.

Spend time on the forums, and optimally brewing with someone experienced, to figure out what you want. Then go to a LHBS that will let you swap out parts in a kit to get just what you want.

A 10G pot with a banjo burner is a good investment- BIAB is easy to do and you can make big beers like the one mentioned that way. Temperature control is important, as is oxygenation, especially with big beers. Beer is great with BBQ, I smoke while I do my brewday. With your fab skills, who knows what that could lead to.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

Another VA person! Rock on!

I am over in Richmond, on the west endish part. If you check craigslist in our area there are people unloading kits all the time. I think because RVA is a big beer town now, people buy the kits to get into brewing. Then they realize its not just mixing a few things and waiting so they get rid of their kits.

Be sure to check them out. That is how I grabbed up my wort chiller for like $20. We do have a couple brew shops (Original Gravity and The Weekend Brewer) that are nearby. James River Homebrewers (the big brew club in the area) is pretty cool, I didn't really fit in with some of the guys because they seemed stuck up. But it's a good club to check out.

The Weekend Brewer is about 15min from my house. I stopped in and spoke with the owner at length about my interest in starting to home brew. He recommended a beginners brewing book to read which I was very happy to purchase from him. The answer to all problems is to relax and have another home brew. Hopefully I will get to start brewing sooner rather than later.

Almost everything I have found on Craig's list so far has either included a bunch of plastic stuff or they were asking new prices.

Check Groupon. Midwest and other suppliers often all you deals on starter kids there. I don't regret the full price starter kit I bought from one many years ago

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. 9 months after my introduction post I have built my own single tier brew stand, a compact HERMS system and enjoy brewing all grain batches about twice a month now. I have some buddies who are now addicted to my Cream Ale and can kick a 5 gal keg in a weekend.
I even made my first brewing video this past weekend. https://youtu.be/Z8XYBv7z4Qk

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

Back