Hello from Central Pa (Lewisburg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
Thought I should introduce myself here since I have probably spent in excess of 40 hours on this site over the last two weeks.

Just moved to PA (17837) from SoCal, and finally own my own home. I have a great wife who is very understanding, and two great children- boy 4 1/2 and girl 18 months.

I love beer!

I enjoy quality beers having the pleasure of living in Fort Collins, CO and other parts of CO to enjoy great microbrews/craftbrews as well as having the fortune to travel the Rheinlandfaldia (Frankfurt, Koblenz, Dusseldorf, Bonn, Koln, Langenfeld, Leverkusen) a few years ago. I admit I am a bit of a beer snob- if its from Anheuser, Coors, etc it is not in my fridge.

I love a hobby. I love the "planning" and "doing" of projects. I have an affinity for cars, but not the income to really do it right. Nevertheless that has not stopped me so far. However, my SWMBO really doesn't appreciate all the "lawn art".

So, I have decided to merely enhance one of my favorite hobbies and fore-go the bigger, bulkier, greasier one- cars, for the one I like to participate daily, and the one I like to share with friends, family, and strangers alike- I am going to enter the world of homebrewing. I have always wanted to try, but have never lived in a place I felt comfortable, or was able, to accumulate "stuff" to homebrew.

Having just moved here, I have a little nest egg from my 75 Dodge Dart I had to sell before moving here, that was to be reused on another car out here. Well weighing out the SWMBO, what I really want from a "hobby"/obsession, etc. that fund is going towards homebrewing.

Nevertheless, I am going all in. I may be jumping the gun, but even before I have brewed my first HB I have planted six hops plants in my yard. Having a home for the first time where I can do what I want (SWMBO considered of course) and a large enough yard where my wife is already gardening, I threw in two things of cascade, 2 x nugget, 2 x willamette. I figure come next year harvest, I will be at the all grain stage anyway, so prepare for the future!

I have read all the newb faqs here, Palmers HTB three times online already, and too many hours on this site.

There are no LHBS around me, so I will have to do internet shopping,

My plan is to buy quality materials that I can "grow" into as a brewer. Since budget is always an issue, I figure why buy "it'll work" equipment now, then want to turn around and buy what I really want later.

So, I am trying to figure out exactly what equipment I do want and need right away that will also allow me to easily add to it in the future as I get to AG brewing.

I am thinking for starting equipment a 6.5 and 5 gallon glass carboy with carboy caps, airlocks, hydrometer and hydrometer cylinder, SS racking cane, unsure on kettle (have a 3 gallon now).

I am torn on going to keg right away or try bottle first... I have seen people say "no one has ever switched over to Kegging and gone back to bottles (only)"...

But basically I just want to get the brewing supplies and get to brewing; I have family that will be here for Halloween, and I figure if I brew in the next week or two, that would be a minimum of eight weeks to a max of ten weeks from brew date and should hopefully make for a nice first HB.

Also if there is anyone close (20-30 minutes) from Lewisburg I would love to meet you and get some advice, and if nothing else enjoy a good brew with you.

Sorry for the long post, but I am stoked to get started, and to share with a community that can appreciate my excitement.

Thanks for all the great information and advice I have already received from you all through this site.

Prost!

-Kevin

Kev - Welcome to HBT! Get yourself a brew kit & ingredients and start brewing!!

See this link: http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

I would recommend the glass starter kit. I use something similar.

Try this beer kit: http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1011.html

You can access it from this page: http://www.northernbrewer.com/alekits.html

This can be a cheap hobby or expensive the choice is up to you. I started cheap and my addiction to gadgetry has me wanting more in the quest for better beer. Therefore it can get expensive if you allow it - its all worth it though!!!

Cheers
:mug:

Welcome to the greatest obsession I've ever found. I live about 2 hours south of you in York. I have a camp I go to that is N of state college pa. There is a hardware store on Rt 64 N of Pleasant Gap and S of I-80 that carries limited supplies but Daryl can order anything you want. He is big into wines and carries a lot of wine supplies but also some homebrew stuff. Contact zoebisch01 as he is probably the closest homebrewer that I know of close to you.

Thanks for the welcome, it is appreciated.

I actually found a LBHS about 10 minutes north of me in Milton called "The Hop Shoppe". I went to check it out yesterday morning only to find out two things: 1) they are on vacation until tomorrow and 2) they are no longer open on Mondays or Tuesdays. Hopefully I will get there after work sometime this week...

I found Yooper's Fat Tire Clone and think I will be trying that, as I have a six pack of the real stuff in the fridge. Figure I will save one and then compare. I am curious how close clones can be.

Hope to meet some of you in the near future and share a nice HB or two.

I actually have come for the same reason - and thanks for the otehr guys that helped you out and thats ahelp for me too.
I am a beer lover to - especially when it is the lonely time at the evfening.
What ever - i wil refer to all the links and let me see how much i can help my self.

_____
Michell

Back