Hello from california

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutchthis

Reaction score
Ryan from stockton , Ca been brewing for a couple years now. I just wanted to say hello and finally break into the forum world. I've brewed about 15-20 batches to date and went quickly into kegging and recently increased batches to 12 gallons. I still use extract brewing for fear of the unknown and cost efficiency. Are there any other members in my area? Hello to all. Ryan

I was born in Stockton. Most of my family still lives there. (but they don't brew)

Welcome to HBT! Do you drive to Modesto to get supplies? I hear the LHBS closed in Stockton. Actually I think Jamil mentioned it on the BN.

Hi Ryan, I am just up the road in Galt. I have been brewing since Oct last year, and have just moved to all grain from extract.

M1k3, I work in EDH, will have to get together on day before I head down the hill after work.

Clay

m1k3 said:
I was born in Stockton. Most of my family still lives there. (but they don't brew)

Welcome to HBT! Do you drive to Modesto to get supplies? I hear the LHBS closed in Stockton. Actually I think Jamil mentioned it on the BN.

I actually drive to Livermore to the good brewer. I haven't been to Modesto yet. Lol.

clowe said:
Hi Ryan, I am just up the road in Galt. I have been brewing since Oct last year, and have just moved to all grain from extract.

M1k3, I work in EDH, will have to get together on day before I head down the hill after work.

Clay

Edh? I would like to hear about your experiences with going to all grain. I'm half scared to as I like high abv in my brews. The weakest batch being 8%. Was it all it's cracked up to be?

Edh? I would like to hear about your experiences with going to all grain. I'm half scared to as I like high abv in my brews. The weakest batch being 8%. Was it all it's cracked up to be?

El Dorado Hills, CA.

While I used to live in CA and had plenty of friends from the Delta area, I moved. *sniff* Welcome to the forums anyway!

All grain isn't that scary, grains should be cheaper than malt extract, and have more varieties. It's just a pain if you don't have a proper setup and have to fake a filter. I searched on YouTube for a video I saw a long time ago but couldn't find it. It was the best of the quick setup's I've seen. A buddy and I tried it out side by side with my cooler mash tun. It worked pretty damn well. In the video a guy showed how to use your bottling bucket, an expandable vegetable steamer, and--if you wanted--a large nylon bag to make a simple mash tun. It worked really well.

An important trick to all gran is to keep the temp in the range of 155°F ± 5°F during the mash and well stirred. Stirring it thoroughly once every 15 minutes is enough to get proper conversion. Batch sparging is the simplest method to finish.

Here's an outline of the process with a batch sparge to get you started:
Mash for an hour with 1.25qt of water near 180-190°F for ever lb of grain. The high temp of the starting liquid is to account for the grain being cooler. It should end up being what your recipe calls for or 155°F. After the hour add about half a gallon of 170+°F water (again, the high temp is only to bring the mash temp back up) and mix to loosen up the grain.
Then take a pitcher and drain off a quart or so and gently pour it back on top of the grain bed. The first runnings will be cloudy, so vorlauf-ing puts the excess proteins on top of the grain bed to filter out. Repeat the process several times until the runnings have cleared up, then drain.
Measure how much wort you have drain and get ready for the next sparge. (A time saving tip: Start that wort in the kettle to lessen your boil heat up time.)
You'll add about 1.33qt of hot water (~170°F) per lb of grain, mix, vorlauf, drain.
As you drain some of the second pass, measure the wort's gravity. If it's above 1.015 you can and more hot water and extract more sugars. If it's near 1.010 or lower, then adding more hot water will only extract excess tannins and few sugars. Tannins are always extracted, but not nearly in as high a concentration as are extracted when the pOH is as low as that low of a gravity causes. (That last sentence feels wordy, and is probably too much information anyway.) Just stop when you've hit your preboil volume or the gravity of the last batch gets too close to 1.010.

That's actually pretty in-depth, but an adequate explanation of all grain brewing.

Hopefully that helps you want to try all grain, and welcome again!

sup bud im in Lodi just started a few weeks ago i have a hard lemonade going now

EDH is short for El Dorado Hills.

Reverend covered the over all process.

Lucky for me I meet another brewer in Galt who showed me how to do all grain. It's actually pretty easy, I use a Rubbermaid 10 gal cooler for my mash tun, and converted 15 gal kegs for the boil kettle. You could run your recipe thorough Beersmith and adjust the grains or add DME to get your higher ABV. I think it is worth the extra work, as you have more control over the finished beer.

Clay

Hi Zhoel, let me know how the hard lemonade comes out, I am interested in brewing that myself. I have an Irish Red fermenting now and am going to do a Sierra Nevada clone and a blonde next.

will do and sounds like a plan i have yet to even try a homebrew other them my samples of hard lemonade lol. I have a Nut Brown Ale Extract Kit coming this week to be my frist beer ^^ i wanted to start all grain but im being cheap atm hah

Nice!

Welcome Aboard!

Roseville here! EDH is cool. I ride @ Elkin's Flat in Placerville all the time.

I'm also doing the all grain class on Saturday @ Beck's Brewmeister. YouTube is also a great resource. I'm going to the Gold Country Brewers meeting on Tuesday too.

I think I'm hooked! :tank:

Brewmeister just opened in Roseville.
(I go to the one in Folsom).

The address is 1031 Junction Blvd, Suite 802 in Roseville. 916-780-7299. It is just up (West) Junction from where it intersects Washington Blvd by the Fairgrounds in Roseville.

Back