Hello everyone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodincincy

Reaction score
Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jerad and I'm wanting to start getting into homebrewing my own beer. I'm a lover of Lager style beers the most but overall I'm a lover of all beers. I live in Cincinnati Ohio which is a city with a large german influence, therefor my taste for beer is mostly consumed by all styles of German beers. Recently I've been really enjoying Erdinger's Weissbier. Other favorites include Becks Dark, Hofbrauhaus's entire line, Christian Morlein, Spatan Optimator, Sam Adams Boston Lager, and many others.

As a newbie I really don't know where to start so I'm going to be reading what I can to learn more. Any input on where to start and any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

:mug:

I just read through the "How to Brew" by John Palmer. Just read the first section which was the "Crash Course." It doesn't seem that painful or hard to do. The only aspects that worry me is keeping everythin sanitized and avoiding any infection.

So, I guess the first step in this process is to aquire the supplies. I have a person here at work who has a 5 gallon carboy that I may be able to obtain very cheap if not free. I'm also going to ask this person if they have other supplies they no longer need. However I'm a little worried about using their syphons and other plastic supplies. I think I'll purchase all new for that stuff.

My next challenge is to decide what receipe to try first. Anyone have any suggestions on a good beer for a newbie?

My ultimate goal is to brew a weissbier, but I think as a beginner I should focus on something simple and hard to screw up. :cross:

Another question I have is about using a "secondary?" Should I get an additional Carboy to use as a secondary? I intend on getting a second Carboy anyway so I can eventually brew two beers within a very close timespan.

I was also wondering, would this kit from Austin Homebrew Supply be a good start?
Austin Homebrew Supply

Thanks! :rockin:

Back