Hello all...again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corjyn

Reaction score
I enjoy reading the posts here. I wouldn't say I am a avid homebrewer....yet. Still learning the ropes.

I brewed a red ale about a year and a half ago, it didn't turn out well. Packed up the brewing shtuff and figured I enjoyed consuming more than brewing. Recently, a friend brought me a fine homebrewed ale and talked me into trying it again. I tried a yeast starter last week and brewed a Belgian triple over the weekend (extract kit..of course). Terribly excited that the airlock went crazy 10 hours after pitching and was encouraged this time around.

I have a couple questions since this is only my second beer. Racking? When should I move the triple to secondary? and how long should I bottle condition?

The OG was a little low at 1.072, if that helps with the question.

For the Michiganders out there, I would like to tell selflish promotion to Charlie at Cap N' Cork Homebrewing in Macomb. I bought the kit through Midwest online and had questions on brew day, he helped me on the phone and kindly asked to think of them in the future. Class act!!!:mug:

John

move it to the secondary after a week or 10 days to be safe. you just want primary fermentation to be over. You could take a hydrometer reading at that time to make sure primary fermentation is over (reading of 1.020 or less for a gravity that high), but as long as there are no huge temperature swings during fermentation, it'll beready to after a week. Welcome back

I have to disagree with Ton. You want to leave your beer in the primary long enough for the yeast to complete it's job not just ferment your beer.

You brewed a big beer and it's going to take time for the yeast to ferment, clean up it's waste and remove off flavors, and clear your beer. I normally leave my beer in primary for at least 4 weeks, then if it needs to age longer (for big beers) I move to secondary.

If you rush your beer, you will end up with ho hum beer. If you leave it long enough before bottling and drinking, the beer gods will smile on you and reward you greatly.

Latest posts

Back