Hefeweizen Yeast Repitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm brewing a bavarian hef tonight. I am thinking forward to my next beer and was wondering if anyone has any creative suggestions for a good beer to brew with the hef yeast (other than another hef).

I'm down to get crazy, but still want to make a good drinkable beer...was just thinking someone out there has probably been in this situation before! :)

Any suggestions appreciated!

Weizenbock. I did this a month ago. The repitched yeast from an Imperial Hefeweizen(1.072) goes pretty crazy, but makes a fabulous Weizenbock(1.075). Blow off tube is a must and you will probably clean it out a few times. Good luck.

Maybe something like a roggenbock...? Replace the wheat part of the weizenbock with rye and see what happens with a strong roggenbier.

Make sure you don't pitch on the whole yeast cake, as that will likely be over-pitching, which won't get you the esters you want with a yeast like that.

Thanks so much guys, all really great ideas. Leaning towards the dunkel, been wanting to brew one for awhile anyways. Other ideas are great will have to keep in mind :) as I'm sure I'll have this conundrum again!

timdurning - love the name of your mild hahah

Back