hefeweizen yeast layer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00m

Reaction score
I just brewed a hefe extract kit. It has been in primary for three weeks now. I have reach my desired FG 1.012. BUT there is still a solid layer of yeast on TOP(covers the whole top) of the fermenter. from the research I have done I am pretty sure it is yeast and not krausen. (it's milky and tan in color)

My question is is it safe to bottle? the gravity is right(low) but because of the yeast on top not sure if there is still activity. If I bottle now do I risk bottle bombs?(this is my main concern the samples taste good)

also I used Wyeast 3068 and a temp of 67-68 degrees (F)

that beer should have been done in the prim 7 days after brewing, then in the bottle for 1-2 weeks. wheat beers are done quick from what i read and from the 2 i have done. im sure others will chime in. post a pic if you can.

3068 an 3638 both are true top-cropping strains and huge amounts can stay on top for weeks after fermentation has complete. i call it a floating yeast cake. rack out from underneath and bottle.

the floating yeast is also a great place to harvest from without washing if you want to bank/reuse the yeast.

You can also cold crash it and that typically will knock it down. But racking from under is just fine as well.

Thanks for the quick replies. I am hoping to bottle today so i will be ready for a vaca i am taking in a couple weeks.

added info:
Fermentation was still active after seven days. I took a reading a week ago and it has dropped since then. it has been stable for atleast two days now (that I know of) I took a reading yesterday and today. I should also add the smack pack I used took almost two days to fully inflate, and fermatation was also slow to start. Although, it was very vigorous when it did start(as you can see in the pics.

i am posting pics. it is hard to see the inside of the fermenter from the side because there is a layer of krausen residue stuck to the side of it. i drew a red line on one of the pics it shows where the reside starts and a green line to show where what a think is yeast.

DSCN0632.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

DSCN0634.jpg

DSCN0635.jpg

It looks fine. Again, it's a top cropper, so that will always happen with that yeast strain. You can certainly rack from under and bottle today, if you are sure you are at FG. Don't try to rush it though, it will serve you better to be patient if you can. How long has it been fermenting total?

Thanks for the pics and that is for sure yeast. If the gravity is stable then it is done and it's just the residual yeast hanging out on top and it's not fermenting. I have had this problem with other yeasts and cold crashing it for a day or so usually takes care of the problem. Do you have that ability? If not then like others have said just rack under it.

brewday was July 31th. so it has been in primary for 20 days started seeing signs of fermentation about two days after brew day. i can cold crash (it is in a mini frig with a temp control) but then i will not be able to bottle for a few day(no time) how long does it take a hefe to carb up(bottle condition)?

that is a strain that does that. no need to cold crash. it is a hefe.

should be carbed within 10 days with head retention improving for up to a week after that. if you decide to cold crash that shouldn't effect the carb time much. maybe by a day or two.

Back