Hefeweizen with a fruity English ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airdusters

Reaction score
Hi. I want to make a yeast foward beer like a Hefeweizen but instead with yeast that produces different esters/phenols than banana, clove, bubblegum, etc.

I need your help. I have a few questions:

What is your favorite estery ale yeast?
What flavors/aromas does it produce?
At what temperature do you ferment?
Did the esters subside or disappear completely with aging?

Also, do any of you have experience with "WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast"? The WL informational page says this about it: "It provides delicious subtle fruity flavors like apple, clover honey and pear". Is that accurate? What was your experience with it?

Thank you so much for any insight.... :rockin:

I don't have experience with the Burton Ale yeast... but notice that it does say SUBTLE fruity flavors. The English ale yeasts I have used have been more estery than American varieties- although they can become very clean if fermenting at lower temps. BUT- these same English ale yeasts are also waaaay less estery than a hefeweizen yeast. Belgian yeasts tend to be very, very estery. You might want to experiment with some of those. Some will give off some banana and clove flavors- but others have a variety of esters and flavors that they will kick off. Again, temperature can affect the level of esters quite a bit.

Good luck!

Hef yeasts are such a huge part of the flavor profile that I would argue you won't really have a hef if you use a different yeast. It might be interesting to make a batch and split half on a hef yeast and half on something like 023 just to see how big of an impact the yeast really has. I'm not sure what style you'd call the Burton wheat but it sounds good to me.

I like the idea below. I've thought about brewing a big batch and splitting it three ways with an American yeast, an English yeast, and a hef yeast. The resulting beers would be an American wheat beer, an English summer ale, and a German hefeweizen. Recipe could be simple. 50% wheat, 45% pale, and 5% of light Munich or crystal for body. Noble hops to 25 IBUs since they would be acceptable for all three styles.

To answer the original question s-04 can get very fruity.

Back